Who done it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Maylin2

Vampire Squid
About two months ago I lost most of my sps and lps corals (zoas & clams unscathed). No water parameters were ever off, temperature was consistent in the proper range, and there was no real change in anything. After several large water changes and the addition of more carbon, the majority of the trouble seems to be gone. But now the question is, what the heck happened?

Suspect 1: Majestic Angelfish. He didn't show much interest in corals until one day my pocillopora looked ill (little polyp extension). It progressively got worse until I realized what was happening but it was too late. After picking at several corals, they began to loose tissue on their own. Did he just pester them to death? Note: he is now at a happy FOWLR home.

Suspect 2: Chemical warfare. My RBTA and Fire & Ice Zoas have been pestering one another for. The Zoas don't open up for a while after they are touched by the RBTA, which is hard to avoid considering its rapid growth. I removed the majority of zoas from its reach. Could they have been putting off something foul in the water which is killing sps/lps?

Suspect 3: Domino affect. Could the death of one colony have set in motion the death of a multitude of corals?

Suspect 4: Angry sea nymphs wrecking havoc on those of us who dare to hold hostage their oceanic kin in small glass boxes.

Whatever caused it, the damage was:

Blue Tenius
Thin & Thick Branch Pink Birdsnest
Orange Monti Digitata
Purple Branching Monti Digitata
Yellow, Purple, & Green Poccillopora Colonies
Blue Tricolor Colony
Blue Candy Cane Colony
Purple Acropora
Neon torch coral (4 heads)
Wall hammer coral
Large parts of my Favia
Other things I can't remember

And alas, my giant purple tipped valida tree shaped coral:

IMG_0087.jpg

Another question is, why did the zoas, the clams, and encrusting montiporas remain unscathed?

Back