Who has experience with large skimmers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Osama

I have a professionally designed and installed 700g system, DT of 500 and three tanks of 65-70 g each ( One is a sump, one is refugium and third is frag tank). was filled with water in Jan 2014. DT is doing great as shown here.
Leonard 10589024_10152644970949759_1783337709_n.jpg

My system has a huge skimmer which is OK by me if it were to function properly all the time. After days of tuning it, I can get it to skim well, then a lot of times in a few hours it start spewing water so much so that my make up system cannot keep up and the pumps starve for water. I cannot keep this skimmer working properly. I have been in the hobby for about 20 years. Had 180g then 320 then 180+320+ 2X90 etc and had several skimmer along the way all of which I had no problems with.. But I am having difficulty with this one. It costs new $2800 and is not working out for me... Installer did say he dropped a wing nut in it, that he did not retrieve. Sometimes ( not frequent) the skimmer rattles as if some turning vanes are worn out or whatever? Anyone accustomed to such large commercial type skimmer that can help will be appreciated and thanks. Here is a picture of the skimmer in the store along with my tank in the background:

008.jpg

I thought I had a huge skimmer, then I saw yours. If it acts up after a few hours then its possible you are running the skim to wet. Turn it down some & anticipate it will become wetter foam after a few hours of use. Just my $.02.

Thanks Amphipod ... I have tried to turn down some and some more and then open it up .... Main issue it does not stay stable. Pls look at how well it is skimming here... Skimmate is quite thick not watery but it does not stay that way....
SkimmerBuckets_zps8d2d4b9e.jpg

Have you contacted Bill Wann the designer and builder of your skimmer? He advertised that he warranties his products for life so I would talk to him yourself")

Do you have an email for Bill Wann I would love for him to help me out with tuning this skimmer. Would be great if he can assist. Thanks for your input

I agree. You should contact manufacturer. There are just too many variables. I have a 7 foot tall duel beckett. I run it fairly dry. Depending what I feed the skimmer can go nuts. If I put my hand in the tank the skimmer can go nuts. I have to make sure the venturies are clean. Set the water level low. It's a compromise

I see a dosing pump. Additives can change the foam production. Adding buffer can increase a skimmers foam production. Contacting the manufacturer is a good idea too.

Tanks Spinner Amphipod and Fish lover. I do dose manually as doser pump is not fully functional yet and I do put my hands in the tank to arrange things and I accept the fact that when I do so thing will happen with the skimmer . But things are happening with the skimmer when I am not doing any of this. Like right now it is skimming very fine but there is a mild rumbling noise like something is loose or defective or worn out BUT then the sound will stop. Skimmer naybe fine thru the night or start dumping water out over night or be OK for a while.... I need to contact the manufacturer as my installer has not tackled this problem ade quately as yet!!.....

Anyone has contact to get to Bill Wann email or cell??

If that piece floating around in the skimmer gets caught in or near the air intake, it will cause the water level in the skimmer to rise and possibly overflow

If that piece floating around in the skimmer gets caught in or near the air intake, it will cause the water level in the skimmer to rise and possibly overflow

OK Fishlover. You got me "what piece ? where do U see it?" Pls advise and thanks .....

My skimmer came with no instructions no pictures no nothing. ,,, this skimmer has it's own air pump that injects air as shown here in the clear plastic tube on the left side that comes down from the air pump (on top of skimmer and not shown in picture) and connects to the metal tubing on the left side that make a U loop and continues down to bottom of simmer cylinder where air is injected

I believe loohunter was talking about wing nut dropped in the installation you mentioned.

That is why I am surprised that a professional knowledgeable installer did not bother to dig it out. I drained the system but could not see it. Almost have to take that sucker apart and I cannot do it of fear of ruining it and I am experiencing a very bad lower back situation that is under treatment

Ya. The wing nut was the piece I was referring to. If it has a separate air pump though i can't imagine the wing nut would matter much. I would wonder if maybe a needle valve on the airline might help for finer adjustments

One other thing that caught my eye is in the last picture of the skimmer. In my opinion The clear part of the skimmer should be getting dirty not just the very top that would indicate the water level being to high. I might be wrong though. My skimmer has 2 1/2 to 3 feet of neck and it is all nasty. Granted my neck diameter looks a lot smaller than yours and it's a completely different style. Also how long has the system been up and going?

Ya. The wing nut was the piece I was referring to. If it has a separate air pump though i can't imagine the wing nut would matter much. I would wonder if maybe a needle valve on the airline might help for finer adjustments

I do not know about any needle valve as I do not have any diagram for such an expensive piece of machinery

One other thing that caught my eye is in the last picture of the skimmer. In my opinion The clear part of the skimmer should be getting dirty not just the very top that would indicate the water level being to high. I might be wrong though. My skimmer has 2 1/2 to 3 feet of neck and it is all nasty. Granted my neck diameter looks a lot smaller than yours and it's a completely different style. Also how long has the system been up and going?

I will lower the level for a couple of days and see if it will skim at all.

Today was skimming great until now (almost 9PM) There is no foam head and large bubbles are very big are on top and could start spewing water ... so I am lowering the water level.
Realizing that there is no change in the tank other than the lights are going off and the skimmer is acting up!!!! go figure from perfect skimming to ,,,

Tonight also there is more frequent rattling noise It used to happen sometimes in the past but it is more continuous tonight. I do not know if it is the wing nut that the erector dropped in there that is moving around or something else is loose or broken. trying to reach the man in charge of my system and see what he says and how soon he can come over...

Back