Why did my skimmer stop skimming?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

I have had a Bak Pak 2R on my 29 gallon tank for about 4 months now. It has done a great job of skimming but there are still a few micro bubbles. About 4 days ago it just stopped producing skimmate. The only differences in the tank are I have added the small sponge in the out let area to trap the microbubbles (works ok, I am still not bubble free but less).
Also, I usually do a weekly 10% water change, but last week I skipped. I am going to try to go 2 weeks and see what happens. The tank and all the inhabitants look great.
As a side note, the thing I like best about my BakPak is the skimmer cup is a great ampiopod trap, the get stuck on the lip and once a day I pick them off and drop them in the refugium.

I have not added any chemicals, and the air lines are open, same as always. The mystery continues.....

What's your salinity at? If too low, the bubbles created are typically much larger and not as efficient. There is also the possibility there isn't much to skim if the refugium is doing well the two could be competing?

Cheers
Steve

Salanity is at 1.024. Wow, maybe my tank is clean. I will do a water change tomorrow and see what happens.

Back