Why? My Acanthurus eats Wellsophyllia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ocean Drive

Italian Reefkeeper
Ciao,
I have Wellsophyllia on my DSB, very nice LPS but in the last days I have seen it consumed on its tissue and is visible the skeleton of the stony coral. I have seen also my two Acanthurus spp. - A. olivaceus and Ctenocaethus Tomiiniensis - eat the coral tissue!!! :mad: Now the Wellsophyllia is into my little refugium.

while soft corals and algae are chemically aggressive to their neighbors in an attempt to burn back the reef and dominate their section... stony corals are physically aggresive and use sweeper tentacles (mostly at night).

This is a common problem with corals placed too close together. A minimum of 25 cm is needed between all corals to be safe.

OK Anthony, I know this chemical attacks, this is Alleopathy but my problem is different. Wellsophyllia is food for my Acanthuridae!!! Help me please!!
Grazie

Last edited:
Can't you move them further apart?

Or perhaps target feed the Acans?

(or both)

The well-fed Acans may do less scavenging ...

How the hell do you move a fish and coral further apart? His tangs are eating his LPS why would moving his acans further away solve his issue?

My mistake - I read Acanthurus and thought Acanthastrea.

My apologies.

The comment about feeding still applies.

My mistake - I read Acanthurus and thought Acanthastrea.

My apologies.

The comment about feeding still applies.
No problem. I think that Anthony has read Acanthastrea also and He thinking at mesenterial filaments :) moreover I think that it isn't Alleopathy, Alleopathy maybe between soft and stony corals.

Hey Guys!! My problem are called Acanthurus olivaceus and Ctenocaethus tomiiniensis :D

I guess you are stuck with very impolite fish, and the refugium is the Wellsy's new home.

even if I wanted to pick up the stony coral in the tank, now is difficle to capture the fishies. Too fast, too furious :D

Back