why the heck is my cleaner goby stealing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Passinetti2007

Sperm Whale
Ok I just bought a cleaner goby and never had one before. He's adopted a home that my pistol shrimp made under a rock in the sand bed. Last night while I was working on my sump I noticed my ricordia mushroom was not on the rock it was on. I searched the entire tank to no avail. Then while I got up to use the bathroom while I was sleeping I did my usual check the tank stop (I know pretty obsessed right) and pointed my flashlight into the gobys hole and there was my ricordia. Then when I got up this morning he now has my watermelon mushroom in there also. Why is my goby becoming a coral thief and a pack rat. Is this normal. I dont know how I'm going to get them out of there it's under my base rock. I'd have to dismantle everything.

LOL! :lol: :lol:

This is funny! Sorry, I guess I'd be frustrated in your position but you have to admit it's pretty funny!

(I have no contructive advice for you....:oops: )

I know it's pretty funny, I'm sure the corals are safe but in the cave they will have no light. That is my main concern. I guess the goby just wanted some furnature or something.

It's good to know I'm not the only person with a neurotic fish (my clarkii clown is)

Your fish is horrified by your Borat sig and is trying to fill up the hole so it doesn't have to see it. :)

Just kidding. My mantis would often do this and I would have to steal the corals back. I've never had a fish do it before though. (And yes, it will need to be re-exposed to light).

It depends on the species of mantis. For many, I just dug in there and grabbed the coral and it's piece of rubble. For peacock mantis, that was a different story altogether. Sometimes, I said, it's yours.....I'm not messing with it.

My pistol shrimp does the same thing, he grabs small frags of zoas and pulls them down in, luckily I was able to get them out :)

Back