Why?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trillyen

what???
Ok today i bought a reef fanatic 250 watt metal Halide ballast for a what i thought was a steal!!! 20 bucks

At a kind of reef store garage sale.

It doesnt want to fire up my metal halide that i ALSO got from there ( 250 watt) 12000k coralvue (15 bucks)
its a electronic ballast

the bulb flickers on and off but dosent fully light up, just looks like its on fire for a second then it goes out!!!

the ballast has a wire thats just ALL wire NO COLOR on it, a red wire, and a blue wire

my wires off of my socket have a white, and black, and green wire set up.

i tried every scenerio i could, but nothing just the on off flicker of it looking like it wants to fire up but dosent

i dont think its the bulb

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD SELL A BALLAST THAT THEY KNOW DOSENT WORK

I was at work all day excited waiting to see and wondering what both sides of my tank would look like lighted up instead of just the 1, excited to go home and hook up my new WORKING ballast

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD SELL SOMETHING KNOWING IT DOSENT WORK

i dont care if it was 5 dollars and they knew it didnt work, thats 5 dollars i could put towards the purchase of a brand new ballast, or a good working used 1.

It could also be the bulb. Does the bulb have a resistor inside of it? It looks like a bug with stripes with a wire going in one side and one coming out. It is actually a starter that helps fire up the bulb. If it does not have one then the ballast is not right for the bulb. Try another bulb with this resistor in it before you chuck the ballast.

Ok thanks here are pics of the ballast

ballast1.jpg

ballast2.jpg

ballast4.jpg

ballast10.jpg

ballast3.jpg

Well i guess i should of read what i bought before i bought it!!!

it says on the light box that ( bulb does not fire!) and some thing else

As i stated earlier i dont understand why i was able to buy a bulb that does not work

i mean what the FK would some one want to buy a bulb that dosent work for?????

i should have read the box i guess before i bought it but should they have been selling it in the first place

I swear if i go buy another bulb just to find out that the ballast dosent work im really gonna.......well i guess thats premeditated i think they call it so never mind

WHY WOULD SOME ONE SELL SOMETHING THAT HAS NO USE AND THEM KNOWING THAT

WHY WOULD SOME ONE SELL A BULB THAT DOSENT WORK

IS THERE ANY OTHER USE FOR THIS USELESS M O T H E R F&#K!R

MAN I SWEAR TO GOD DUDE

Last edited:
I agree its not right to not more clearly mark a broken bulb......BUT I agree with James that the intent was most likely not to rip you off, but thinking it was repairable.

Look at it this way. No reason to get too upset about it. I imagine the ballast will work, and $35 isnt all that bad for a 250w ballast. And this $15 lost will most likely save you much more in the future as you will look much more closely at used items you buy. You got off cheap. I wish $15 was all that i lost on some of the used equipment I have bought in the past when i didnt know any better. LOL

Yes it is the bulb thats clearly marked as bad, and im thinking the ballast is ok seeing as it did try to fire trhe bulb

there is no possible way to repair a bulb if there is then i would not know how to do it any way

thanks for all the advice but i think i gonna go ahaead and stay pissed off, and call the people tomorrow and ask them what is up with the sel;l that they made me

like i stated before its not the money at all its the piece of mind i had all day at work, thinking i could see my fish under 500 watts of light instead of 250, but instead i find that ive been ripped off

i dont blame the people at all that work there i blame, well i dont know, but who ever gave the order to sell that bull shhhh was just as wrong as anyone selling out dated food just to make money off of it

and if the intention of the seller was to sell the bulbs to be repaired it should have clearly be stated or mentioned

sorry if i sound mad it aint none of yaw its my fdurt g lfs!!!!

THEY RIPPED ME OFF FINICALLY AND EMOTINALLY

My bad, I thought it was something wrong with the ballast from teh way I read the original post. I'll keep my mouth shut now.. :oops:

a closed mouth dont get fed james i welcome your and anybody elses input any time james

were all gonna bump heads in this hobby sooner or later

and if your wondering yep im still pissed!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

a closed mouth dont get fed james i welcome your and anybody elses input any time james

were all gonna bump heads in this hobby sooner or later

and if your wondering yep im still pissed!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Just a figure of speech. I was just joking.

Open mouth and insert foot..:D

Trillyen,

I am the one who gave the order to sell the ballast and bulb, and the reason being that is the fact that I did not know that either of them were bad. The ballast should be good, however I personally did not see the bulb labelled as it was, and it was actually in a box of brand new bulbs that were discontinued.

Before you go off on a rant such as what you are doing, maybe you should try contacting us and see what we can work out for you. You are getting bent out of shape before you have even contacted us about giving you a solution to your problem.

Feel free to set up a time to come by and I will refund you for the amount of the bulb, and the ballast if you prefer to return that as well. Sometimes mistakes happen. We try to be perfect and please every customer possible, but that's not reality unfortunately. We do try to make it right everytime something does slip by though.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Premium Aquatics, Inc.

Last edited:
Ok First off jeremy i didnt mention where i got it from for the sake of saving you guys the hassle just incase it was a mistake, in which i thought it was, but then again i know how you guys ARE about having a reciept, and me being the dumb butt i am dont hardly ever save mine, and im sure it was already disposed of, so that was another reason for my up roar, and disapointment

But i do have every right to get up set for being at work all day, and expecting to come home to see the other side of the SUN shine in my tank, and getting let down because of a mistake on BOTH of our parts.

I also have every right i thought to come on the site and ask questions about something i thought i may be doing wrong, cause as much as i do LOVE your establishment, it was completely not even in consideration that the none lighting of my bulb or having a bad ballast was through any fault of your guys.

When i jumped on here to get some questions answered I did have a pretty good idea that something wasnt EVER gonna work with the set up, but then and only then was there ever any doubt

Sorry if i upset you, but put yourself in my shoes, and at the same time please understand that im probably not as half as finacially comfortable as most of your customers, and ive come to rely on your products, and pretty much thought that you guys could do no wrong especially the way you guys treat me when i come in there.Every one does make mistakes though, and with mistakes do come consequences, and i could of sworn that i said no one was at fault at the actual store, just the person who gave the order to sell the damaged goods, which was you and you said you werent aware of the bad bulb

I guess the reason behind as you put it my ranting and raving would be because i figured that you guys knew that the bulb was already bad, and just were selling it to some one for what ever reason

wasnt trying to make the store look bad in any way, and sorry if i upset you.

Hope this dosent leave a damper on our relation ship

Thanks, and My bad!!!!

Back