Will my Occ Clowns ever get along?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BackwerdsMan

So I've had these 2 young Occ clowns for about 2.5 months now. One became bigger as expected, and then began to bully the other. I figured this was a normal part of sexing. They would kinda fight each other on occasion, and the bigger one would never let the other go anywhere in the tank without first demonstrating its dominance. This has been going on for over a month now.

Now the smaller one has found a cave in the rock work, and will spend all day in there. If it comes out when the lights are on, the big one will dart right for it and force it back in. It'll still come out for feeding, but I had to train them to feed on separate sides of the tank, otherwise the smaller one would not be able to feed.

Surprisingly, the smaller one still seems to be in great health, and doesn't look ragged or anything. But I'm starting to wonder if these two will ever pair, and if I should possibly look into offloading one of them.

hmm, wish I knew. There is always hope but my guess is that they won't pair up. You could always play some romantic music and splash a little red wine in there:lol:

I followed your advice, and my tank is CRASHING!!! all my corals are dead and my fish are floating on the surface!!! WTF!!! One fish is still alive though, and I'm pretty sure he's drunk, although he keeps telling me he's cool, and asking for his keys. ;)

:shock: I have to admit, I did get a little worried as I began reading your post!
If he's to drunk to swim I guess he will have to drive :D

The time and 'rightness' of the size difference was at the time they were put together. I mean, they should have had a size difference at the time you acquired them.

Two Anemonefishes of the same size from the same source could be related. But even if not, they may never reach a point of recognizing who is dominant/female.

You want the two new Anemonefishes to be of different sizes when you put them together.

You could now take the smaller one out and put in another small one, maybe even smaller than the original one you remove.

:D

Well, nothing has changed. Same deal, Bully keeps the other one in a cave all day. I only see it when feeding time comes. Anyone want a small Ocellaris(misbar)? It's not beat up at all, eats plenty every time its fed, it's still in great shape. It just hides all day. trades for Zoas?

Send me a PM.

Back