Wonky ORP reading

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I just hooked up an ORP probe/monitor (Milwaukee) and I am getting a reading of 140mv. I understand 350-400mv is about the ideal range, so it seems to me I have a probe problem, since I have a very high water/air exchange rate and run ozone.

Should I just give it time or is there some form of calibration I can do? I understand most units dont require calibration or even cant be calibrated. Mine can but didnt include solution like the PH probe did.

BTW: My probes are about 4" in the water of my sump..

It may take a few days to stabilize. Also make sure its about 6" away from your other probes.

Don

John,
They do make calibration fluid for them, but I think it's more along the lines of what Don said. There's a couple of threads here on RF that talk about ORP and also an article by Randy Holme-Farley on Reefkeeping.com.

Reasons That ORP Measurement May Be Inaccurate
There are a variety of reasons that ORP values taken in aquaria may be inaccurate. The primary one is that the platinum electrode may become fouled in a variety of ways. For example, it is expected that the platinum will get a coating of materials on it that can include oxygen, sulfur compounds, and organics. All of these will impact absolute ORP values. If an electrode is moved from a fluid containing one set of these compounds that bind to the electrode surface to a different fluid with a different set, the ORP may take a long time, even hours, to stabilize.[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE]
Additionally, as soon as bacteria grow on it, they can lower ORP be reducing the local O[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE] concentration. Likewise, if the probe is in a lit area, algae can coat it and release O[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE] locally onto the platinum. The end result is a greatly increased ORP. Occasional cleaning eliminates some of these concerns, but because of these issues, one should not put too much emphasis on the precise ORP readings in any given aquarium.

ORP Standards
Many ORP meters do not permit calibration, but some do, and for detailed ORP measurements, including situations where ORP is being controlled (such as when using ozone), it is worthwhile calibrating (or checking the proper operation of) the meter. Usually, the calibration is quite easy given commercial ORP standards. A variety of standards are available, including Zobell solution which can be obtained from Cole Parmer for $21. It is a solid that is reconstituted from deionized water, and has an ORP of 231 ± 10 mv. Another common standard ORP solution involves putting quinhydrone into pH 7 and 4 calibration solutions to make standards of 86 and 263 mv, respectively. A third standard is Light's solution, which uses the Fe[SIZE=-1]++[/SIZE]/Fe[SIZE=-1]+++[/SIZE] reactions described above.

Last edited:
Back