Would appreciate some input on lighting my 150 mixed reef.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MTWiley

I'm putting together a 150 display tank right now that measures 72" long x 20" wide x 24" high and I'm trying figure out what kind of lights I'd like to run for my mixed reef. I'd ideally like to be able to keep Softies, LPS, SPS and maybe even a clam(Tridacna Crocea)

I've looked at MH lighting, but wasn't really interested as they need to be a bit higher off the water than my canopy is and they run really hot from what I understand and can heat your tank if you're not careful about placing them.

I was looking at T5 lighting and was looking at picking up two of these Sunlight Supply 36" T5 Fixtures or one of these 72" Current USA T5 HO Fixtures

I looked at LEDs breifly, but was put off by their insane price tag and pretty much wrote them off.

I had pretty much come to a decision to go with T5's and just needed to decide on which fixture, and then I stumbled on to CAD lights that aren't too much more expensive than T5's and wont require a $160-$240 light bulb change every 6-8 months. The cost of changing the bulbs just once would bring the total to almost the same price as the LEDs if I bought two of the 36" CAD Light Fixtures.

I'm wondering is if anyone has experience with CAD Lights(not specifically that model as they're still in preorder, so aside from a review on another site I haven't seen anything about them), or thoughts, or suggestions on lighting my tank?

Thanks in advance.

i would go with a retrofit mh system and use lumenarc or lumenbright reflectors 3x250w 15k xm bulbs and supplement with 60" t-5 actinic bulbs.

i would go with a retrofit mh system and use lumenarc or lumenbright reflectors 3x250w 15k xm bulbs and supplement with 60" t-5 actinic bulbs.
I agree, but i think you could get away with 2x 250w MH bulbs especially with lumenarc reflectors because they will get you the most out of your MH's. Another supplement you can look into is VHO's they really make your corals pop. Your hood just make sure your 6-8" above your water level and running a small fan so you won't overheat. Not no expert in LED's but i would wait it out until they come out with better ones.

Back