Wrasse recommendation?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

Well, after doing some research it appears that my tank would not be a good environment for pipefish, unless I chose to get rid of my pugnacious Clarkii clown. I won't though, because she was there first....

So, can anyone recommend a reef-safe wrasse that

1. would be okay in a tank with only 1.5" of crushed coral substrate (so not a sand-sleeper)...need a rock-hider or a cocoon-spinner
2. relatively hardy
3. eats micro-crustaceans (like red bugs), but not hermit crabs/snails?

I've read that the Choati (sp?) wrasse is good at #3 but bad at #2. Also that that Fairy wrasses tend to spin cocoons, but I've found mixed info. on that fact so I don't know if it applies to all in that species, and I also don't know if they're good at #3.

Everyone, I'd like to hear your ideas.

Mystery Wrasse for big $ or Possum Wrasse for less. I love them both.
I have a beautiful and cool looking 6" Yellow Tail Red Corris Wrasse, it is semi-reef safe but knocks everything over looking for worms and pods.

Hmmm...possum wrasse....

Is this the one?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1396

P.S. On marinecenter.com it says this about the possum wrasse:
This seldom seen genus consists of only a few members that have evaded aquarium collection until only recently. Average size is about 1"-2. House only with exceptionally peaceful tankmates, this wary fish cannot tolerate boisterous tankmates. These are ideal reef aquarium fish that have proven to be quite hardy and easy to care for.

So, since I have a boisterous and bossy Clarkii Clown, that would tend to rule out this specimen too. The mystery wrasse is beautiful but I don't want to spend that much $$.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Last edited:
I don't know of any that have red bugs on their regular diet.

I did read of one person swearing up and down that his red bug population was down to an undetectable amount after the addition of his chaoti wrasse. The description of that wrasse is that it dines continuously on microcrustaceans. So I would think that any small-mouthed wrasse that fits into that category would scarf up the odd red bug when he came across it. Now I just need to narrow down the selection to one that doesn't need a sandbed, is reef-safe, and isn't a lil' woosy scaredy cat. :lol: With so many wrasse varieties I was hoping I might hit on something. :)

It's dicey. Pipefish have been known to eat flatworms. But 'red bugs' is a very non-descriptive term. There are several dozen such creatures that may answer to that name. :D

Some wrasses have been reported to eat flatworms but not to extinction, as far as I've read. It would be a hope, though. :)

Back