x-max tree worm rock, bisma rock....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

risin

I got this x-mas tree worm rock or bisma rock or... not really sure what to call it. But anyway, it's a fantastic piece and I really like all the different feather duster style marine worms.

The problem is that my Coral Beauty Angel is constant circling the tank during the day and picks at the rocks. The Coral Beauty also seems to be picking at this coral during it's rounds so the worms never come out. At night the worms come out all the way because the Coral Beauty hides, and from what I've noticed I haven't lost any worms.

Is it likely that the Coral Beauty is eating the Coral that the worms grow in? I haven't really noticed any polyp extension on the coral or any change in appearance.

If this continues will it stress and eventually kill the worms and/or coral?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I got this x-mas tree worm rock or bisma rock or... not really sure what to call it. But anyway, it's a fantastic piece and I really like all the different feather duster style marine worms.

The problem is that my Coral Beauty Angel is constant circling the tank during the day and picks at the rocks. The Coral Beauty also seems to be picking at this coral during it's rounds so the worms never come out. At night the worms come out all the way because the Coral Beauty hides, and from what I've noticed I haven't lost any worms.

Is it likely that the Coral Beauty is eating the Coral that the worms grow in? I haven't really noticed any polyp extension on the coral or any change in appearance.

If this continues will it stress and eventually kill the worms and/or coral?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chances are pretty good he'll have it picked clean in a few days then youll have just a rock.

Don

now taht is cool but did u put it in its hiding place or teritory.

hmmm, that really sucks. I love this piece of coral. I going to cage it off with some of that plastic white square stuff, and transport it to my brothers tank this weekend.

hope it goes well and i have a coralbeauty and when i had corals it didnt even go near it.

I have one of these and my butterflyfish used to pick at the worms almost constantly but then got tired of it and only picked at it occasionally. He learned that the worms were faster than he was.

I still have all the worms....

that's encouraging... I hope I have the same success. I would much rather have the specimen live elsewhere than risk it dieing from predatory acts though.

I checked out the coral last night and it had, seemingly, great polyp extension, about 2mm. Here is a picture of my temporary solution for keeping the Coral Beauty away from it:

Yup, but it gives me some time to figure out what I"m gonna do. Also, when I got home yesterday I watched the tank for a bit and the coral beauty never touched it... I'll probably take this cage off in a few days and see what happens.

Centropyge are nor wholly reef safe. Probably a good 4 in 10 nibble something desirable (corals/inverts) in the typical reef aquarium.

Just an update. I left the cage on it for 2 weeks. I took it off about a week ago and I've only seen the angel pick at it a couple times (just a quick nip and away too, no staying and picking for 5-10 seconds). The worms still don't come out much during the day; anything scares them in... change in light, in tank movement, outside tank movement, etc... but at night they are out along with the polyps.

Back