Xenia vs. Cheato

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
I am sure that there is a thread floating around about this already. The things that i am interested in is the pros and cons of both. I have a refuge with both and i am thinking about getting ride of the cheato and replacing it with more xenia. the reason for this is that i have noticed that there is no change in how often i have to scrape the "aglea dust" (which is about every 3 or 4 days) on the glass of my display when i remove 1/2 or more of my cheato. but when i remove 1/2 or more of my xenia, i have to scrape every day or two. what would i be losing by removing all of my cheato?

Hmmm... this is interesting. My macro grows like crazy in my fuge now, and my xenia does the same in the main tank. However, I've been looking at removing all my xenia since I'm focusing on SPS/LSP corals and need the space. After reading this link I might have to start a xenia fuge for comparison. Thanks for sharing 91Yota and Steven11.

i would do pc's or even a 70w mh for a xenia fuge to really push the growth... i hate the old watts/gallon rule but id say 6-8wpg (of fuge volume) as a minimum... you want the xenia to thrive and grow like the weed that it is for it to be a successful scrubbing mechanism... also, red sea pompom seems to sequester nutrients better than the elongata but either should do the trick... i am currently getting ready to aquire some cespitularia (blue xenia) to try out on my wife's softy tank to see if it does any better... so far the anthelia and pompom xenia have served the tank well... hth

No wonder Stevens tank look so good! I'm goin gto try this out once I get around to setting up my sump.

Back