xm 15000k vs. 10000k

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefer88

I am upgrading to a halide system and want xm bulbs, but i cant decide between the 15000k and the 10000k. I would go for the 15000 but the PAR is terrible.

Anyone have any experince with these bulbs and any suggestions?

Xm bulbs & use

Hi Reefer 88 and welcome to reef frontiers.:D I am currently using a HQI ballest with a 250 watt XM 15000k bulb right now and I have had good results with growing a couple of clams and some lps under it. In the same location I used to have a Ushio 10000k bulb and it was very white the XM 15000K is much bluer in color this is probably why the par is so much lower .
Tell us more about your Tank? How deep is it? How hi above the tank is your light fixture? What kind of corals do you keep? How many watt's are your ballast? are you a fan of the white spectrum or blue? Hope to help but try to get these answered first...Good luck with your choice...Jeff

reefer88 said:
I am upgrading to a halide system and want xm bulbs, but i cant decide between the 15000k and the 10000k. I would go for the 15000 but the PAR is terrible.

Anyone have any experince with these bulbs and any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply:)

My tank is a 50 gallon breeder (18 inches deep). My canopy is raised above the tank about 8 inches and houses one 175 watt mogul halide off to the left(I plan to keep higher light corals on the left of my tank with lower on the right). The halide will be run on a standard m57 ballast.

Right now iI keep mainly LPS but will gradually add SPS and clams once I get the halide up and running.

I currently have 2 96 watt power compacts(one atinic, one 10000k) and I like the look but wouldnt mind something more blue, but I really dont like yellow bulbs which is one of my fears about the xm 10000k.

Any suggestions are appreciated

I like the 15k but I have softies and lps, for sps I think a 15k would give good color but less growth. For viewing and softies I'd say the 15k for sps growth the 10k I think it depends on what direction you tank is heading.

I was planning on keeping mostly acroporas under the halide, so the 10000k sounds good, but I still want my tank to be towards the blue spectrum.

Anyone have any tank shots with either of theese bulbs?

My vote is for the 10k XM. I switched to the Xm15k...SE 250 watt and my rose anemones bleached.

I have since switched back and they are recovering. Never again....lol..

I would supplement with actinics.

Best,
Ilham

Suppose I should have mentioned like Elmo said, I do have 2 115w actinics supplementing my MH

Im running 175watt 15k's , w/28 watt 10k power compacts

The first one is with just the Xm15k
and the second is with the added power compacts.
Man I wish I had a better camera, or some photo skills

Back