XP on a Window 7 machine?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I have a new pc with Windows 7 on it and was wondering if there is a way to put XP on it as well. Then be able to use programs that work in XP that don't work with Windows 7?

Usually you can go ahead and install the program. Right click on the executable file and choose properties. There should be an option to run the application in compatibility mode - and choose your option. Generally I find that win7 runs older apps just fine, but in the case that it doesn't, just try different compatibility options.

The program I want to use has a auto installer. It seems to install ok, but when I try and use it I get a error message.
It's a nikon software program that I got with a point and shoot camera. It's very simple to use. Nikon's solution is to use their new Nikon ViewNX software whick imo is very confusing.

Last edited:
Usually you can go ahead and install the program. Right click on the executable file and choose properties. There should be an option to run the application in compatibility mode - and choose your option. Generally I find that win7 runs older apps just fine, but in the case that it doesn't, just try different compatibility options.

Thanks.
Some how I manged to muttle through it and get the program to work

if you want to truly run win7 and win XP separately, you would have to install them on separate partitions. once installed a boot manager is displayed, allow you to choose which OS to run.

^^ that was gonna be my second option set. Though it can be a pain if all you are using it for is that one app.

Back