Yellow & Purple tangs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Octupus

Octupus
any suggestions on how i can get them to get a long? :) i have a beautiful purple tang (a survival!) and would like to put one or two yellow tangs in a 180gallon tank. Is this possible? suggestions? Thank you!

I would put at least 2 yellow tangs in at the same time. I our vat we have 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, and a Kole tang. For us tangs always did better in odd numbers. They also have plenty algae to eat.

The tank must be large (no less than 180 gallons. Then the Purple is added first and is the larger. 6 weeks later the Yellow is added that is an inch shorter than the Purple.

The above works unless the personality of one or both just doesn't fit.

Thank you Lee. What about the odd number? i keep hearing this. My tank has been up for about a year now and i have introduced the pruple tang 10 months ago. few weeks later i put a smaller yellow tang but unfortunately the purple tang kept harrassing him to death :( would putting more than one yellow tang (smaller size) keep the purple tang at bay? Thank you

2 will ussually become aggressive towards eachother or 4 will pick teams sometimes singling out one etc. odd numbers = less aggression

If the tank isn't large enough, they will just be teamed against each other and within their own species (as they get older). Despite 'advertising' tangs of the same species don't get along with each as they grow older (unless they are in the sea). One of two then two of three usually suffer at the 'fins' of the other(s).

I have a 140 with 4 tangs in it as well as a few other fish all introduced at different times. A Yellow, Powder Brown, Purple and Naso. The yellow was the first and only problem when new tangs were introduced. I delt with him by putting it in the sump for a few weeks so it lost its teritory. No problems after a time out a couple of times as the new tangs were introduced. All get along great now.

thanks.. how the heck were you able to catch him?:)

I use a one quart wide mouth masson jar with a vegi clip inside and a suction cup on the outside bottom attached to aprox. 15' of fishing line. I submerge the jar onto its side on my sand bed and wait for the tangs to eat out of it. When the right one is in eating I jently pull on the fishing line untill the jar uprights putting the mouth of the jar in the sand bed the fish is then caught. I then reach in the tank and cover the mouth of the jar with my hand pulling the jar with fish in it out of the tank and dump the fish and water in the sump.

I have 3 tangs in my 270 a Powder Blue, Achillies and Cheveron Tang and will soon add a Purple Tang that is slightly bigger than the other 3. The chevron minds his own business unless one ot the other 2 wants a piece of it. the chevron doesn't ever start anything but will defend itself if need too. The other 2 however loves to take turn chasing each other they never seem to get tired of chasing one another. i hope the Purple tang will be OK with the PBT and Achilles.

Back