Yellow Tang with fin rot

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I recently acquired a yellow tang that appears to be malnourished with fin rot (I have attached a few pictures below). I was hoping for some advice on what to do to get this little guy healthy again. He's very active and seems to have a normal appetite. Sadly I know nearly nothing about saltwater aquariums, so I hired a guy to set up and maintain the tank in hopes that my lack of knowledge would not effect the fish. I quickly learned that it would not be that easy. The guy didn't even check the salinity level in the tank after the set up and left me with less than 1.014 to put my fish in. Now I am trying to do as much research as possible, because I just want the best for the fish.

Some basic info: 150 gal, live rock/sand, 1 shrimp, 2 damsels, 1 yellow tang (fin rot), 2 bumble bee snails, 3 hermit crabs.

Do you have the ability to test all your water parameters? If so could you please post them for us. Fin Rot is caused from very poor water conditions. Mainly with the presence of high ammonia.
That fact that he/she is eating is a great sign. For possible internal parasites I'd try soaking his food in PraziPro. Keep him/her well feed.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I can tell by the color and bulge around his stomach that you have been feeding him the past few days he has been in your care. Keep it up, you will be surprised how much something as simple as that will do. If you notice him getting any worse, go through the treatment process that I mentioned before. Just remember, feed feed FEED!!! Tangs can't get enough of it :) Soak his food in Kent Marine Zoe and Selcon (every couple of days) for an extra boost to his diet and immune system. Do your best to research water parameters and keep those as stable as possible for reduced stress. Your bioload is low for the size tank that you have so it shouldn't be difficult to keep nitrates down. Rinse and strain any frozen foods to help deter phosphate levels in the tank. Keep us posted, and good luck!

Update: The guy gave me the following water readings: Ph - 8.5; Amm - .50; Nitrate - 20; Nitrito - 0; Sal. - 1.024. He said the ammonia levels would be a little high since we just set up the tank 7/26/2013, but that they should go down. I am not sure I trust his readings though. I tested the salinity after he left and I'm showing 1.019.

Ph is a little high, optimal range is 8-8.4. You need to get your ammonia levels down. Keep an eye on it for now.

What are you using to read salinity? Refractometers are the most accurate and reliable tool for this. I recommend investing in one if you are currently using a hydrometer.

Also, if you aren't trusting the test results you can always run your own tests. They are pretty straight forward and worth having on hand.

Water parameters definitely could be the cause of the Fin Rot. Several larger water changes should bring your Ammonia & Nitrates down.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Thanks. I have a hydrometer, so maybe that's cause of variable readings. I'll look into getting a refractometer, along with some other water testing supplies.

Amy ?(Rea17), once again Great Job on saving those Tangs and now for the help you and Nana are giving SW Rookie. As I said some time ago If you'd like some Coral starts as rewards to your efforts, I still have plenty. They are starting to brown out a bit under T5's but will get an LED over them today ??? Shoot me a pm if you'd like to come down for a visit. SW Rookie, same offer goes to you as well.

Cheers, Todd

Well I appreciate everyone's help, but sadly the tang passed away today ;(. Really wish I could have saved him. He was my favorite fish.

aww too bad!! be sure to wait before adding new fish - your tank actually needs to cycle fully before you starting adding swimming friends.

Once your nitrates and ammonia can test at zero consistently for a few weeks, you can consider adding- of course waiting for your tests to come out OK is the worst part!

I haven't been on this thread for a little while, I'm so sorry to hear about the tang :( Sometimes there just isn't a whole lot you can do when you receive them in condition like that, don't beat yourself up about it. Do wait and do a little more research before you replace him, but I hope this doesn't discourage you too much. I haven't experienced many things in this hobby more rewarding than a fat, happy, healthy tang!

Thanks Todd! I would like to come see your setup. I'm in the process of my big build right now, so I've been super busy! I would really like to connect with the other local tang lovers out there though :) You are welcome to come by if you ever make it up this way too, but be warned, overstocked and a big mess around my under-construction tank! lol. I'll get a build thread going one of these days...

Back