yet another noob question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

I hate being the noob, but everybody was at some point...I guess it's my turn.

For background, I'm a fish biologist and I'm used to working with equipment I can't afford. The aquarium test kits seem so inaccurate to me (except KH, I like titrations). Anyway, reading through a few threads I think I need to provide more info from test kits I don't have...yet. My current conditions are as follows...

NH3/NH4 nada
NO2 nada
NO3 about 12 (I also have a little issue with color)
KH 10 (this is the one I'm unfamiliar with but I think this is REALLY low)
Salinity is a tad low at 31ppm (I've never used SG at work or in school so it's tough for me to think in those numbers)
Temp is stable at 80deg

With those numbers in a 29g that's still being set up, how's it look? What all should happen to make things better? I've got 12 pounds of live rock in there right now and another 20ish pounds coming this weekend. There is 1 damsel in the tank. It's been up about a month. I've got a fluval 204 running until I build a stand big enough to house my other 29g underneath which will become the sump. At that point I'll get an AquaC Urchin (do they make a pro in the urchin, I forget, and if so, should I upgrade to that?).

Well, your answers should make my head spin. I'm sitting down so let 'em rip!

Your KH, or Degrees of Carbonate Hardness, (a measure of alkalinity from carbonates) is in the "normal" range...but it also depends on what your Calcium level is as well, as the two need to be in balance. For a dKH of 10, you'd want a Ca level around 430ppm. Be aware however, that Ca levels above 420 really don't help corals, they can actually hinder coral tissue growth.

Salinity is tied into this as well, IMO it's not a good idea to get a particualr level like Ca, Mg, or Carbonate alkalinity too far out of ratio from NSW (Natural Sea Water) values, based on your particualr salinity. If you plan on keeping corals, I'd try to get that salinity up closer to 34-35ppt, or 1.026 SG corrected for temperature. This will allow you to more safely run NSW values on your chemical levels.

hope this helps a bit, keep the questions coming as you have them...:D

MikeS

I use to be a noob! and I still think I am!(LOL) Your setup sounds like it will be quite alright. The thing you will probably notice once you add the other 20lbs of LR, is that your tank may take a little longer to cycle than if you left it as it is now. The reason being is chances are your new rock is going to have some "die off" so your cycling process will be prolonged a bit more. That is usually why people try to get all of the LR they will be using at once so that it can cure all together and cycle one time. Nevertheless, patience in this hobby is the name of the game and it will be worth your while to add the extra lbs of LR in the long run. I wish you the best of luck with your setup!:)

Back