ZOA Condo

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

artguy1

I purchased a Potters Wrasse from Barrier Reef that has done really well. As some of you know these bury at night...ya, uh huh and toss up substrate throughout the day.
PottersWrasse_1

So my ZOAS, some of which were on the substrate, were getting covered with live sand. The ZOAS hate that.

I had to make a Plexi Zoa Condo (glorified frag rack) to help them out a bit. Shaped like a 2 story grand piano on stilts to fit in the corner and around the live rock. Wrasse has more room to bury & not disturb the ZOAS as much!
FragRack

That is very cool looking and very smart!! Our ZOA's are down in the sand as well and would love to move them up off of the sand. Could you tell me how you managed to make this and what materials you used to do so? Thanks

That is very cool looking and very smart!! Our ZOA's are down in the sand as well and would love to move them up off of the sand. Could you tell me how you managed to make this and what materials you used to do so? Thanks

Hey Angie,
Plexi, plexi rod, plexi cutter, Weld-On 4 and a little Weld-On 16 (glues)...and a little fit to shape action. I am a Graphic Designer and have been working with Plexi for quite a few years...mostly for fun. I have designed quite a few plexiglass and polycarbonate things that have been produced commercially, mostly for trade show and marketing events. Back in the "Trickle Filter" days I used to make Wet/Drys and counter-current skimmers for all my buddies reef tanks.

The Zoas are much happier now, that's for sure!

Hey Angie,
Plexi, plexi rod, plexi cutter, Weld-On 4 and a little Weld-On 16 (glues)...and a little fit to shape action. I am a Graphic Designer and have been working with Plexi for quite a few years...mostly for fun. I have designed quite a few plexiglass and polycarbonate things that have been produced commercially, mostly for trade show and marketing events. Back in the "Trickle Filter" days I used to make Wet/Drys and counter-current skimmers for all my buddies reef tanks.

The Zoas are much happier now, that's for sure!

Thank you for your information. I'll have to see if I can talk Michael (returnofsid) into making me one....LOL. We currently have a DIY frag rack made out of egg crate glued onto a Mag Float magnet. It's working out pretty good, but our tank is looking very over crouded. Time to start setting up the 113g Cube....hehe. Thank you again!!

Well I thought that I was logged in under my screen name. Oops!! Oh well!!

Last edited:
Thanks WA Coral

looks like the brain and galaxia are doing great I see the red sea weed as well

Yes, the galaxia & the brain are doin' really well, thanks a bunch.

Say, the mouths of the brain open up every so often & expel a brown lookin' waste product of some kind...sort of a slimy slime slime coming right out of the middle of many but not all polyps...have you seen that before with this brain Andy?

Hello mmn_usn

Artguy, how much for you to make me one?

Well, um, uh, um...never really thought about a price for these...I just kinda bust 'em out.

I might consider a trade or something.

Pricing something like this would not be fair really. I do a bit, slurp some espresso, shape a bit more plex, take a break...well you get the idea, it takes alot of time because I just doink around and have fun doin' it. I actually have designed many more plexi things than I have built...since plexi design has been one facet of my job for years.

That being said, I could make one for you mmn_usn. They are functional and great for the purpose in which I designed it for.

Have you considered size/shape/number of stories by chance. Normally I have questions about application, configuration, market demographic, budget to design to etc when I'm doing a project. I know most of the answers for a project like this already. For instance, I would definitely need to know what size and shape you are thinking of. I designed the unit pictured to fit in the front corner and around my live rock, coming up with the shape of a grand piano...it just worked out that way.

PM me if you are interested, we can talk further

All the Best
Greg P

Well, um, uh, um...never really thought about a price for these...I just kinda bust 'em out.

I might consider a trade or something.

Pricing something like this would not be fair really. I do a bit, slurp some espresso, shape a bit more plex, take a break...well you get the idea, it takes alot of time because I just doink around and have fun doin' it. I actually have designed many more plexi things than I have built...since plexi design has been one facet of my job for years.

That being said, I could make one for you mmn_usn. They are functional and great for the purpose in which I designed it for.

Have you considered size/shape/number of stories by chance. Normally I have questions about application, configuration, market demographic, budget to design to etc when I'm doing a project. I know most of the answers for a project like this already. For instance, I would definitely need to know what size and shape you are thinking of. I designed the unit pictured to fit in the front corner and around my live rock, coming up with the shape of a grand piano...it just worked out that way.

PM me if you are interested, we can talk further

All the Best
Greg P

Greg,

I am curiuos too how much it would cost to have you make one for me. Remember I mentioned it to you when I was over your place?

Greg,

I am curious too how much it would cost to have you make one for me. Remember I mentioned it to you when I was over your place?

What size are you after Jjay? Lemme know and I'll figure out a price...when I built this frag rack "condo" I thought it would work well...now I know I does well after seeing the frags grow and love their undisturbed area now.

Anyone else interested?

BTW: How are the RPE's doing?

What size are you after Jjay? Lemme know and I'll figure out a price...when I built this frag rack "condo" I thought it would work well...now I know I does well after seeing the frags grow and love their undisturbed area now.

Anyone else interested?

BTW: How are the RPE's doing?

The RPEs are doing quite well. Got a little darker in color under halide lighting.

I'll pm you regarding the frag rack later. Still deciding how I want it made. Thanks Greg.

Back