Zoanthid Nudibranch predator, any new info, I need help please!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

artguy1

I have been collecting small frags of Zoanthids from various sources. I noticed a Zoa Nudi the other day on my glass. Took it out of the tank. Saw another one today, about double in size on the glass and eradicated that as well.

Now some of the larger zoa colonies are not coming out or opening up. I suspect that there are juvi nudis but can not see any.

What is the current take on total eradication, I know one just can't throw in a "flea bomb" of sorts for these little predators. I did a search but can not find much current info.

I would appreciate any help and serious comments, I'm concerned about the health of my colonies and frags. I know there are many of you that have great ideas, I query the braintrust for expert advice.

Much appreciate your help
Thanks
artguy1

artguy1 - are these colonies that can be removed from the tank, or are they encrusting on large rocks that can't be removed? There is a dip you can do, if the colonies can be dipped in. It can be found on this forum. You will have to look for the spiral shaped egg cases, though, and manually remove them. These will not be effected by dips.

I apologize for not linking you to the dip or the picture of the egg case that is on this forum. My internet is dreadfully slow this morning, and I have to go reset my router. Hopefully, someone in the meantime can post those, or you are able to locate them.

I pulled out 1 rock of zoas last night. This was a rock I purchased about 9 days ago. I also purchased a frag at the same time. Well both these pieces had the dreaded Nudi's on them. I did the "shake the rock clockwise/counter-clockwise thing" and looked in the bottom of the bucket...yikes...there were 6 just from doing this. I pulled a total of 9 off of the large colony and 1 off of the frag.

I have only seen 1 egg case to date but I will be on the look out.

Thanks for the quick responses and good advise. If I had my choices I get a six-line wrasse, but the best fish might be the Sea Grass Wrasse. I have not looked for this particular Sea Grass Wrasse but the hunt will begin.

Finn, did I read that you found a few SGWs but they were too big for your system? How big was too big for your system in your opinion?

I have kept six-line wrasses before, they are truly cool fish, and easy to identify.

I'm on my way to locate iodine and a buffer to the ph. Gotta start the dips I guess.

Thanks again everybody....any more comments are welcome and appreciated

artguy1

My zoanthid tank is only 30"x18"x18",, about 40 gallons.
The SGW that a local shop had was about 4"-5". Just a little bigger than I wanted.
I did find a green coris wrasse that worked great, he got alittle aggressive looking for food.
He knocked over small frags. A little more food in the tank might have worked.

I've also used a melenarus wrasse.

Thanks Finn

Appreciate your response...I have a small tank as well & concerned about bioload relative to adding a new fish + QT time

The last link has some great fish that are active hunters.

Seems as if the little nudi buggers are gone...anybody know

what the hatch period would be if I missed any egg cases? Everything looks pretty clean and has been for a few days now

Back