zoo - poly id

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaTe R

i am wondering what you use or look for in identifying a zooanthid between polythoa.

I dont spend much time with them but i was wondering is there something you can just look a one and know that it is one or the other?

lately i have seen some things labeled as zoo's and something that are labeled polythoa...lets just say i would not have guessed it. sometimes it is obvious but other times i dunno

thanks

ps. one more question is is zooanthid or zoanthid?

Paly is short for Palythoa and Zoa for Zoanthid. Palys are usually larger and more spaced apart. Zoa are small and mat-like.

looking for a more specific attribute that defines them.

for instance if you want to identify one polyp what would you use to prove it one or the other. there has to be a rule of some kind.

for instance if you want to identify one polyp what would you use to prove it one or the other. there has to be a rule of some kind.

From my understanding, Poly's are carnivorous and will eat the mysis that I place on them. Other than the size guesstimation, that's how I tell.

From my understanding, Poly's are carnivorous and will eat the mysis that I place on them. Other than the size guesstimation, that's how I tell.

Back