Zoo relocation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

varpanus

aquarium junglist
so I am noticing very large zoo polyps forming in random places in my tank. but they are all clear, because I assume they're not getting enough light. can I scrape the individual polyp off of the rock and relocate it to a better location?

What do you mean by scrape???:p I know you can "detach" them from the base and re-glue them where you want, but be very careful handling zoanthids. They have some nasty toxins that can put you in the hospital! :eek: I never touch them without using gloves:)

so I am noticing very large zoo polyps forming in random places in my tank. but they are all clear, because I assume they're not getting enough light. can I scrape the individual polyp off of the rock and relocate it to a better location?

Usually the only "clear" type critters that pop up in random places are aptasia's.

First thing I thought when I read your post was aiptasia. I read down and see that Martin beat me to it.

They are considered a pest. There is a product called Joes Juice that works pretty good. I use it and sometimes I use a paste made from Kalkwasser.

If they were zoa's how would we move them. Ive been killing zoa's all morning trying to stock my pico. Should I just put some rubble next to them hoping one will move?

Don

yea they do look like those! doI need to get rid of them?

They spread like wild fire and sting other corals so yeah, get rid of them. Most people (like Finn suggested) use joe's juice or boiling water etc and inject each aptasia using a syringe. Also, I've heard of people using copperband butterfly fish and I think it is peppermint shrimps to do the work for them, but once they've eaten them all, they'll starve and besides, where your tank is just a 10gal, I'd just use the Joe's juice one time:)

If they were zoa's how would we move them. Ive been killing zoa's all morning trying to stock my pico. Should I just put some rubble next to them hoping one will move?

Don

Don, I remember reading something, you may want to give it a try or maybe I was just dreaming when I thought of this. But from what I recall, take a piece of ice and put it in a ziploc bag and if at all possible touch it to their base and they may loosen their "grip" and you should be able to move. This may not be true for a zoa but I think it was originally thought up for whole removal of a majano or something similar.

HTH

Don, I remember reading something, you may want to give it a try or maybe I was just dreaming when I thought of this. But from what I recall, take a piece of ice and put it in a ziploc bag and if at all possible touch it to their base and they may loosen their "grip" and you should be able to move. This may not be true for a zoa but I think it was originally thought up for whole removal of a majano or something similar.

HTH

Thanks, I gave up and just broke the rock with a chisel. My hands are to far gone to hang onto them one at a time, the forceps just smashed them.

Don

When I was new to the hobby I knew corals had toxins but didn't realize zoo's were worse than others. I was cleaining my tank and I had a rock with over 500 zoo polyps (quit counting after 500) and my inner forearm kept touching them. After a few minutes one of my legs kept twichting, and my thumb was numb for about 3 hours. I now know what was going on. That was my only bad experience with them though. Most people have a fair amount of calousing on their hands and the toxin doesn't get through it well. But if you touch more sensitive skin with them, sometimes it leads to trouble.

Back