zooanthid eating nudibranch?? what is it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
I was wondering why my zoanthids were closed so tight over the last week when this morning I found this little dude chowing on one of them. I figure he is a nudibranch. Now I wonder if I have more in my tank, when I caught this guy he seemed to let loose pieces of himselve that I wonder would grow into new nudis?

appreciate you input,

Travis

8e5c0569.jpg

Last edited:
you need to do a lugols dip and dip all your zoa's. read on the zoa forum about how to properly do the dip

That is a zoo eating branch! The shedding of the tenacales i don't know if they will turn into more or not. Keep your eyes peeled for more of them at night. Also look at the pic to see what the eggs look like.

While preparing to do the Lugol's dip, make sure to research whether it needs to be done with saltwater or freshwater. I've been doing quite a bit of research into preventative dips lately and that's something I've just recently found out. Some dips need to be done freshwater and some saltwater. I'm not sure which in your case. From what I've read though, Lugols will do a great job on the Nudi, but not on the eggs. If you have Nudi's it's probably a safe assumption you have eggs. Look closely at all your zoanthids and be prepared to do repeated Lugol's dips to take care of any eggs that hatch at a later date.

Back