10 gallon zoa tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

crazydante23

reefer
I want to set up a ten gallon tank to house many types of zoas. I have a jebo 2x36 watt 50/50 light fixture. I figure I put these to use. would this be possible?

Sid what type of powerhead would you go for in a zoa dominated ten gallon? Also would I need a small protein skimmer? Water changes would be rather easy to do every two weeks. thanks sid.

A small HOB skimmer wouldn't hurt but if only zoo's... no fish, and water changes you probably don't have to get one.

Sid what type of powerhead would you go for in a zoa dominated ten gallon? Also would I need a small protein skimmer? Water changes would be rather easy to do every two weeks. thanks sid.

Maybe I will throw in a 6 stripe wrasse to eat the nudi's. but that would be it for fish.

Hey guys I also got a 55 gallon tank sitting around with a 2x96 watt power compact. would this be better for a zoa tank?

10 gals are fun! you just have to be careful and not over due any type of aditives and watch your salinity. I was running my 10 gal with a red sea prism skimmer and two aqua clear mini power heads. Everthing did awesome! The more live rock, the better off you will be as well.

Steven how many lbs of live rock did you have in your 10 gallon. I didnt want to overload it with rock, so I would have more room for zoas. Im still debating what tank I wanna use. The ten gallon would be nice looking.

I think the light was a 96watt pc. It was the coral life quad tube that fit perfectly on the 10 gal. I like to pack my tanks full of live rock. My 36 gal has over 90 lbs in it. I think my 10 gal had like 15 but it was full from side to side and top to bottom. Here is a pic of it. It wasnt even at it fullist here. The reason why it is so yellow is because i had a 65k bulb in.
steven_s_106a.JPG

Nice tank Steven, where did you buy your light fixture? My light fixture over my ten hangs over the sides about an inch.

The light should be plenty for a 10 gal I had 2 36w PC's on mine and my zoos loved it. I was using a HOB filter and a diy hob skimmer and had no problems about 15lbs of live rock. Good luck with it they are fun.

i had a 10 gal with a coral life t5 and everything did great and i also had a prism protein skimmer but i kinda hated it, it was a peice of junk. But other than that everyhting went well

Back