100 gallon build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dutchschoon

Rock Crab
This is my first published build, Started with a Tank that I have had a long time, decided to upgrade to this 100 gallon from my 55 that I currently have. Here are some photos to begin with.. Some issues I have is time money and all the usual excuses.. But Some queston's i'll need answers to are what kind of sump or if there is a good skimmer for around reasonable amount that handle medium bioload 100 gallon- FOWLR not focusing on corals just need to get some attractive swimmers for it.

And is it possible to run a sumpless skimmer off the overflow system and back up to the tank?- This is my first attempt to be successfull with a sump, kinda of noob when it comes to that.

Attachments

• Maskingforpaint.jpg
    Maskingforpaint.jpg
    40.5 KB
  • Sprayingthetankblack.jpg
    Sprayingthetankblack.jpg
    45.3 KB
  • Drillingholes.jpg
    Drillingholes.jpg
    46.8 KB
  • Drillinglasthole.jpg
    Drillinglasthole.jpg
    34.5 KB
Cool, looking forward to the rest of build. Nice big shop you have, home or work??? Also like the "upscale Everett" location, I'm in 'Pioneer Trails' dev. just East of Upscale... I mean Silver Lake.

Cheers, Todd

There are external skimmers on the market. They do not need to sit in the sump. You could also get a HOB (Hang On Back) skimmer.
Why dont you want your skimmer in your sump?

Thanks, The shop is at my work, a body shop in Lynnwood.

I dont have a sump yet, and I figured if I have a skimmer before I start messing with a sump, I'll have the tank up and running sooner! I have a Remora HOB, but per previous postings that just flat out isn't going to cut it.

What kind of a skimmer can hook up to an overflow box, and the return it back?

I use a hang on. Oct 1000
110_2540.jpg

110_2650.jpg

Not sure if this is what you are looking for

110_2659.jpg

Skimmer intake sits in the deep part of the box, the out let tube of the skimmer sits 6'' to the left.

Krish LOL.
You must read the text!!! The pics are just a bonus. Just like Playboy. LOL I am trying to pin down what Duch is looking to do with his skimmer.
Any thoughts????
If I understand He wants to run a skimmer without having it hooked to the sump, but wants to feed the skimmer pump directly from the DT overflow.
Is that correct?

It is. This is what I mean buy being back to "NORMAL"lol
I threw in a couple of my pics, from my build. To help get a feeling of what Dutch is looking for.
I think it is time for you to stop every thing for two hours. Close your eyes and go to a safe place. LOL

Yes it is Scoot.
Again LOL this is not the OPs pics. I added these pics to HIS thread from MY build. I am fishing for info on his Question about a skimmer that will work.

I know one of you two "Krish or Scoot" will have a solution to the OPs Question.

Krish LOL.
You must read the text!!! The pics are just a bonus. Just like Playboy. LOL I am trying to pin down what Duch is looking to do with his skimmer.
Any thoughts????
If I understand He wants to run a skimmer without having it hooked to the sump, but wants to feed the skimmer pump directly from the DT overflow.
Is that correct?

YEs ! That's it! I need to know options for that kind of approach.. I like the pic's you added- that pretty much it, did you have a pic the skimmer attached??

Overflowinplace.jpg

This is the overflow box I have though, shallow mounted 1500 gph from glass-holes...

And peppie- thanks for taking the heat off me in this thread ;) I'll be honest I was a little hesitant at posting

I'm not exactly sure why it would be shock to have lock line at the bottom?

What you are looking for is an external skimmer. There are plenty of options out there, but the increased cost USUALLY associated with a complete external skimmer is going to out weigh the time you'd save from just waiting. As far as a sump you are more than welcome to hit me up if you are ever down south or know Todd would be happy to help you out since he is closer.

Some external skimmers are octopus, skimz, deltec...

Last edited:
And peppie- thanks for taking the heat off me in this thread ;) I'll be honest I was a little hesitant at posting

I hope it wasn't something I said, I don't want to make you feel unwelcome or scared to post here, we love new people learning etc and posting here. So by all means please post away no question is beneath us.:rockon:

Ok few thoughts here! I wouldn't run a skimmer until you get the tank running with a sump if you plan on having a sump which you probably should have eventually.
That is my opinion, I went 2 years without one on my 125.

The CL on the bottom, well if it ever leaked it would drain your tank completely, there are other ways to accomplish that flow down there! JMO also lol!

View attachment 42196

The only downfall to having lockline or any plumbing at the bottom is if it is tied into your sump return pump. What happens is if the return pump is turned off it will back siphon any water that sits above the return pumps nozzle (as it will only stop when it sucks air) so if this was the case, you'd empty the whole tank LOL! This is probably where the question came from. People thinking it may be tied into your return pump. I'll get you some pics real quick to show that I used lockline at the bottom for a closed loop. Give me a few:)

On the posting, feel free to post here man...Don't be afraid to post whatever questions or thoughts you have on your mind regardless of how simple you may think they are. If you have a thought or question then it is important to us. That is what we are here for and besides, I won't let anyone harrass you...I'm against that stuff and have a nice little magic wand to make things happen :D

K...Here we go.

First shot. All red arrows point to the outputs for my closed loop. Green arrow points to my suction.

Side shot with first attempt using single nozzles for outputs. Yellows are outputs using lockline, blue is sump return (always at the water surface to prevent a lot of back siphon), and red closed loop suctions.

Too much flow came out of the single outputs so I put Y adaptors or all 4 outputs for a total of 8 output nozzles so what you see up top I had down low. Red arrow points to my sump return line. For the test of closed loop I didn't have the head on the lockline as you can see.

Another shot of the return from the sump.

Back