100 gallon pentagon corner tank Photos **Completely setup**

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
I finally got my tank setup. I will discuss the details in this thread. A quick summary is that this 100 gallons is plumbed into another 100 gallons in my basement (including 2 refugiums, 1 sump, 1 shallow frag tank and 2 deep sand beds). The only issue I have to far is the loud gurgling! The head is so strong for the drain it is like a super sucker, sucking and gurgling like mad. Input appreciated on how to stop this. Anyway, here are the pics.

aquarium025.jpg

aquarium053.jpg

aquarium058.jpg

aquarium063.jpg

aquarium066.jpg

aquarium111.jpg

aquarium118.jpg

aquarium119.jpg

aquarium123.jpg

nice looking tank!
I love the equipment downstairs! no noise or heat to deal with from the pumps and all.

you need to build a Durso standpipe for your drain.
Google it there are a million threads how to build one...

Matt

Absolutely agree to the Durso stand pipe, and they are a snap to build. WHat kind of lighting are you running on the side of the big halide. The set up looks awesome.

Absolutely agree to the Durso stand pipe, and they are a snap to build. WHat kind of lighting are you running on the side of the big halide. The set up looks awesome.

I have 2 x 96watt Power compact (white and blue actinic) on either side of my 2 x 400 w metal halides (14k).

thanks for your comments,

More pictures. I don't know the names of the fish. I got them with the tank and the owner didn't know either. I have a 2 clowns, Flame Angle, Coral Beauty, Lunare(?) Wrasse and an Angle(?) blue and shy.
THese fish were in my 30 gallon sump for months, they are so happy to be back in their tank. I bought this tank used off Craigslist.

This one shows my 4 clams (3 squamosas) that I hope to bredd someday.
clams002.jpg

Clowns happu as could be in their anenomes
013.jpg

Flame angle and shy Blue Angle (name please)
020.jpg

Tank shot. Hard to believe just 2 days ago I was filling this tank with cold RO water.
006.jpg

This is the wrasse that I think may be a Lunare wrasse.
022.jpg

I figured out a way to control my lights to turn on/off as per sunrise/sunset but without an expensive controller and it works great!

I bought these programmable outdoor controllers from Lowes for $20 each. I don’t have the specific part number, but these controllers allow you to set on/off based on sunrise/sunset of specific locations. When you program these units, you add you location so that it can calculate the sun rise/set times. I used Hawaii, but I guess Florida or parts of Mexico would work too. Then you can set it up to turn the lights on/off based on actual sunrise/sunset. Each controller has 2 outlets to plug in lights. Then what I did, since I want my lights to not come an all at once, is I programmed one unit to be 2 hours behind the other and plugged it into the spare outlet of the first controller (call it the master controller). When the first controller turns on it turns on my Power Compact lighting AND provides power to the other controller (note these all have battery backup for time keeping when not powered by 120 v). Then, 2 hours later my first 400 W metal halide comes one. My second 400 w metal halide that I am using to simulate mid day sun comes on with a standard timer for 4 hours in the middle of the day. Then, when the master controller shuts down at dusk, it also shuts down the other metal halide.

Sounds complicated I know, but it works. And if I were to buy another controller I could get the first metal halide to shut off 2 prior to dusk to also provide a more gradual transition.

Fun stuff!

I figured out a way to control my lights to turn on/off as per sunrise/sunset but without an expensive controller and it works great!

I bought these programmable outdoor controllers from Lowes for $20 each. I don’t have the specific part number, but these controllers allow you to set on/off based on sunrise/sunset of specific locations. When you program these units, you add you location so that it can calculate the sun rise/set times. I used Hawaii, but I guess Florida or parts of Mexico would work too. Then you can set it up to turn the lights on/off based on actual sunrise/sunset. Each controller has 2 outlets to plug in lights. Then what I did, since I want my lights to not come an all at once, is I programmed one unit to be 2 hours behind the other and plugged it into the spare outlet of the first controller (call it the master controller). When the first controller turns on it turns on my Power Compact lighting AND provides power to the other controller (note these all have battery backup for time keeping when not powered by 120 v). Then, 2 hours later my first 400 W metal halide comes one. My second 400 w metal halide that I am using to simulate mid day sun comes on with a standard timer for 4 hours in the middle of the day. Then, when the master controller shuts down at dusk, it also shuts down the other metal halide.

Sounds complicated I know, but it works. And if I were to buy another controller I could get the first metal halide to shut off 2 prior to dusk to also provide a more gradual transition.

Fun stuff!

Very nice setup, I'd love to see some pictures of basement equipment...
Good for you in getting your entire family involved...

One word of caution though... I'm not so sure these timed power strips are designed to run 1000w of lights through them... Never plug one strip into a second strip!!! BIG NO NO!!!

I'd hate to see you burn your house down...

Last edited:
Nice tank Travis. The fish in question look like a lunare wrasse and a koran angel to me as well. keep it up you've got a great start.

Tom

Very nice setup, I'd love to see some pictures of basement equipment...
Good for you in getting your entire family involved...

One word of caution though... I'm not so sure these timed power strips are designed to run 1000w of lights through them... Never plug one strip into a second strip!!! BIG NO NO!!!

I'd hate to see you burn your house down...

Way to Freak out my Wife!

The wrasse looks more like a H. melanurus. The angel could be a Koran but also looks like a Maculosus. They look similar as juveniles head on but from the side you should be able to tell them apart. Tank looks like its doing great!

The wrasse looks more like a H. melanurus. The angel could be a Koran but also looks like a Maculosus. They look similar as juveniles head on but from the side you should be able to tell them apart. Tank looks like its doing great!

thank you very much, I found pictures of both on google and it looks like you corectly IDed both, it is a Yellow-Bar Angelfish and tail spot wrasse (sans spot?)

Nice tank...

The wrasse looks like it could be a male Macropharyngodon meleagris http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+339&pcatid=339
OR
a male Macropharyngodon bipartitus (male pic not shown, but I'm including a pic of mine) http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+304&pcatid=304

Here's my male bipartitus AKA Splendid Leopard Wrasse amongst other names:
malewrasse.jpg

I see your daughters like to pet bristle worms too, lol, kidding.

Back