10G Sump/Fuge

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yuridelima

I've decided that my tank could benefit from having a sump/fuge due to its small size. Since I'm new at this; it would help me keep water parameters in check and in general, stablelize water quality better. Besides I might like the look of it.

So, I bought the tank: $10
I plan on doing the baffles/partitions with acrylic glass.

This is where I need help. How would I go about connecting the sump to the tank. I have no drilling tools, nor do I have the skills (I think). Is there a way to do this without drilling any of the tanks?
I mean to put the tanks besides one another.
Front of tank
untitled.jpg

Tank
Picture060.jpg

Tankz,
Yuri.

This may help??

Here is what I did. I like simple. The first pic is the fuge. It's on a stand above the tank so I can feed it with an external pump. The baffle slows the flow of water down because it's flowing in at about 680gph and for a 10gal fuge that's quite a bit. Anyhow, the intake is just below the surface so it doesn't overflow in case the a stoppage. The right side of the fuge has the overflow tube that drains back down into the main tank as seen in the last pic. The light is a coralife 28watt that works great for this macro...It's loaded with pods and mysis and a bunch of baby snails that came from somewhere...

I forgot to add that you propably notice the left side water line is higher than the right. I made an adjustable top plate that sits on the upper edge of the baffle. This allows me to adjust the water flow either from the sides or from the center or if completely removed just quick running over the surface of the entire fuge...

that is a nice sump

once i get $200 in my aquarium bank i will build one.
so far i only have 75. and i still have to buy a skimmer.

blind, I bet you reeferdude didn't spend more than $30 on his sump (or close to that, i spent $45 on my 20g DIY including t5 lights), and its actively pulling nitrates from the system. Have you thought about looking on craigslist for a small used tank and light? It might be worth getting a fuge going until you can get a skimmer.

The 28watt light was $39.00 alone. All together I spent about $275 building that fuge. The tank, drilling, pump, plumbing parts, light. timer for the light, heater...It adds up. Everything was new though. You could probably save a ton going used.

Back