12 gallon Nano Cube with New filtration

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Oh baby - look at those flatworms! One week - that was quick - did you prewash or acid-wash your sand? (assuming it was new / dry...)
I'm just curious - I run barebottom, so I'm just regurgitating what the LFS said :D
I like the rock you have in there. Huge and tall like a reef-wall - makes me want to go diving.

I think you can buy something to kill flat worms, you are probably better off doing it now while you dont have any fish or corals yet.
Brett

Salifert Flat Worm Exit. Use it as recommended. You should be able to find it at your Local Saltwater Store or order it from Marine Depot , Custom Aquatics, Premium Aquatics, or another sponsor in forum. You may even get a Reef Frontiers Discount...good luck,
Ed

My flatworm problems developed after about 8 months of initial tank set up. They just disappeared about 2 months after that. Don't know why...I had no fish in the tank at the time.

to be safe i'd do it before corals, i think i might lose my xenia because of them, and treat stuff before it becomes a problem, and often times people have trouble with recommended dose of flatworm exit (FWE) and use many times more, though if u have good flow i think it helps distribute it better. more details in the instructions

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Since the 12 gallon tank is relatively small, you could always take your rock out, and give it a good blasting with a powerhead to try and remove as many as you can. This could serve a couple of purposes....help with manual removal instead of using flatworm exit, or help with manual removal prior to using flatworm exit. Did the live rock in the nano come from your 100 gallon tank? That might explain the flatworms. Here is another thread about flatworms Here I go again...Flatworms. Hope this helps a bit!

I think what you did is quite common. You were wanting to seed your tank with bacteria or animals. There is nothing to feel bad about. Keep up the good work. I hope you keep us up to date with your progress. I am considering buying one of these for my Son.
Thanks in Advance,
Ed:)

I am actualy keeping this tank in my sons room. I make him help me with all aspects of caring for this tank. I have a 100 gallon in the main room and am starting with a 55 in my office. Thanks for all the great feed back. I will be posting new pics every Tuesday on my web page with updates and the start up of my 55, also using the new bio filter I am producing.

Back