120 gallon "slice of the ocean" build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

elmexotics

So, yesterday I made the drive from Everett to Aberdeen to pick up my new tank. I acquired a 120 gallon oceanic tank (48x24x24) for my main display. After much conversation with the other half, she agreed to both the tank in the living room and locating all the filtration through the wall into a spare room.
We currently have a 25g tank in the living room, but all the filtration is also there and she hates the noise, so now time to build a "dead Silent" tank to appease the beautiful wife. ( Oh and had to promise no more clutter of the test kits in the living room, :D.)
The other part of the deal is that I will finally sell of the 400 gallon tank I have been attempting to set up. So if anybody is looking for a giant tank, let me know.

Congrats on a Awesome find on the 120. I myself do not want to go over 48" in length. Maybe 60" max if I found the right tank

Can't wait to see it setup!

spent the morning putting together a stand for it so that I can actually unload it from the van.

IMG_20130102_112515_435-1_zps8b96fc39.jpg

IMG_20130102_112616_173.jpg

IMG_20130102_112658_184.jpg

shhh, don't tell the wife I put it together in the living room, she wont be so happy with me. :tongue:

great size tank.
looking forward to pics and following along with the build.
did i mention looking forward to pics? ;)

HA!!you got in there with pics before I posted.

Tank needs a lot of cleaning, but it was exactly what I was looking for. perfect size, starphire front glass, black silicone and trim, and dual overflows.

IMG_20130102_125428_948.jpg

picture of current tank (I know, tank is too small for a tang, hence the new tank) with one of the LED lights I will be using.

IMG_20130102_130629_688.jpg

Very nice stand you built..... I won't tell haha
As far as they tank they all clean up nicely just takes a little elbow grease and a hose outside. :)
Have you got lights and a sump setup for this tank or are you going to use your current tank as a sump?
Also are you going to plumb everything thru a wall to the other room?
:) pictures make us very happy. Im in for the long haul here keep it up!

Everything will be plumbed into the secondary room to make the wife happy (and give me a place to set up my frag tank. she doesn't know about it yet). i will be using the sump that came with the 400g tank I have and also the skimmer.

IMG_20130102_132130_776.jpg

sump needs some elbow grease too.

IMG_20130102_131619_805.jpg

The skimmer is a beast. i will be using an iwaki 70 to run it. I know they use a lot of power, but the skimmer has never let me down.

Looks like your in it the right way.
I just looked at your 400 rebuild thred Sad that didn't take off
Wish I had the room and house for a 400
Keep on keepin on :)

After some quick thinking and a little backyard engineering, My wife and I were able to get the tank out of the van and into my work area. we also managed to muscle the tank up on the stand so I can do a leak test and clean.

IMG_20130102_201650_895.jpg

IMG_20130102_201725_778.jpg

amazingly enough, the tank and stand are level on the first try. Not bad for my first stand build.

I have done the lcd with polarized glasses test, and it looks like the bottom is not tempered. Can anybody confirm if the tank would have a tempered bottom?

this is fun to watch, keep us updated with the build. I will be updating my 200g build as well but I am sad to say I can't "hide" the filtration in another room. keep up the good work

Back