120 gallon "slice of the ocean" build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think they're all tempered. Look in your overflow.
I'm pretty sure they all have tempered bottoms all predilled

so, the wife is being waaaaaay to nice for this build. I told her that I wanted to use an old tank I have for a refugium, and that I wanted to have it mounted higher than the display tank so that it could drain into the display without going through a pump. She agreed as long as i could paint the drain pipe that comes through the wall red or black to match our living room. I quickly agreed to her demands.

IMG_20130103_192554_790.jpg

so, I guess its another tank to clean and more stands to build so that I can have the refugium I want.

so, the wife is being waaaaaay to nice for this build. I told her that I wanted to use an old tank I have for a refugium, and that I wanted to have it mounted higher than the display tank so that it could drain into the display without going through a pump. She agreed as long as i could paint the drain pipe that comes through the wall red or black to match our living room. I quickly agreed to her demands.

IMG_20130103_192554_790.jpg

so, I guess its another tank to clean and more stands to build so that I can have the refugium I want.

You are going to need a pump to get the water into the fuge. How big is the tank you will use for the fuge?
Did you get the PM I sent you?

so not much action this week. Work has been crazy. Working on getting the tank cleaned up and ready.
Looking for a 45mm and 75mm glass hole saw to be able to drill for closed loop. Anybody have some that I can rent from them? Cant see buying what I will only use once.

WHAT THE 400 AFTER ALL THAT WORK IS DONE?
:scared:

Seams like elmex doesnt want any thing to do with the 400. More than one person has asked for information about it.
Could be he is not reading replies to his posts?, or isnt able to get his PMs. ?
Makes me wonder!!

trust me he has a lot of history with this tank , it must have been hard to quit.

eric is a busy guy im sure he will respond soon

Red C

Peppie, it's the fact that i do not want to give the tank away. I have almost 80 hours in refinishing the tank so that It looks better than it did the day it was manufactured.

Peppie, it's the fact that i do not want to give the tank away. I have almost 80 hours in refinishing the tank so that It looks better than it did the day it was manufactured.

I totally understand not wanting to give it away. Time is money. I just knew of a couple of people that were in the market for a large tank. Just trying to help out a fellow reefer.

All the new toys are slowly rolling in. Picked up a ReefKeeper Elite, Wavysea, and a Ocean motions 4 way. Now waiting for a more probes for the RKE, and glass drill bits to come in. Also found a SL2 for the rke so that is in shipment.

Last edited:
yep. Adding some holes to it. Received confirmation from Oceanic that my tank is not a tempered bottom, so I will be adding holes to the bottom for the closed loop. Going with 2 up front shooting at a 45 toward the rock work/top and 2 behind blowing water through the rocks With the om4 and a drum 3, should create a nice rolling effect in the tank. Will also be drilling the brace so that I can mount the Wavysea in the front so it blows over the rock work and back toward the over flows. Can't wait to add my own coralline to it. But I did promise the wifey that i would take my time and do it right, since it will be in the living room. Also have to make it much quieter that the nano I currently have.

Last edited:
Left it in the tank for 3-4 days with a small powerhead and then rinsed and wiped with a hand towel. was way to easy to clean

So, I don't know how many of you in this area have heard of Applied Industrial Technologies, but what a great company. I needed to replace the bearings in my closed loop pump before putting it back into service, and they actually had the bearings in stock and at a great price (ebay was at 7.50 plus shipping, they had them for 10). Great service and recommended a better bearing than what came with the pump.

Back