1200 Gallon System Planning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tyson256031

Upon getting this new house hopefully, I have decided that i will be upgrading to a large setup. Does anyone know how to attach 3D renderings (from google skecth-up?)of the tank and stand. Still working on the canopy and other aspects of the system. It will be in wall with one of the bedrooms being converted to a fish room.

Tank, Stand, and other main system dimensions:
Tank (L-Shape)- 10'x10' on both sides that will be facing out, 48" in width going back into the room and 24" Tall
Sump-48"X24'X18 (water level will be around 14")
Fuge-24"X18"X18" (Water will be between 14"-16")
Propagation system-36"X18"X18" Tall
Quarantine system-36"X18"X16" Tall
Stand/Canopy- Powder coated steel

For equipment this is what i'm thinking:
Custom DIY LED array
3 Hammerhead closed loop pumps
1 Barracuda return pump
1 Apex controller unit
1 Deltec SC 3070S Protein Skimmer
Custom CA Reactor
Custom dosing setup (For Mg, Alk, other trace elements)
3 500 Watt Heaters
700(+/-) lbs of live rock
200 lbs of live sand

I Possibly might add 2-4 MP-60's for more/different flow patterns on the the closed loop.

I know i'm forgetting some things so i will add items as time goes on i'm sure. Really hoping to hear back on the house within the next few weeks and get this monster going!

This sounds like a great system. Looking forward to the build. We have the MP40's and love the random flow patterns. Are you thinking glass for the dt or acrylic?

Sounds awesome. Let me know if you decided to good rid of the CFI custom 300...

If you want to buy PM me and im sur we can figure something out when the time comes :)

Thanks everyone! like i said its all pending the new house.

This sounds like a great system. Looking forward to the build. We have the MP40's and love the random flow patterns. Are you thinking glass for the dt or acrylic?

Not sure, I really really want to do star fire glass on the front two panels, but not sure of any tank builders in the area that work with glass on this scale. If anyone knows of a company that does great work then please let me know!

For starters, Over size your sump room.

Incorporate Steve Tyrees tri-zonal Method in Large Containers with Live Rock.

I started mine with a ton of Marco Rock which is dead but will not cause a cycle. Couple years later its loaded with sponges.

My 570 Mixed is a simple Plywood stand and acrylic aquarium. Carpentry was done by my self.

A good carpenter with your input will do well.

Wood settles which is good and bad.

I reinforced mine with Birch Plywood and over done...Felt this was better than a custom steel stand given costs

Here is a vid of my tank last year. The big change is now I'm now 100% LED

Bill

Last edited:
Thats all great info^^ Thanks Bill!

So talking with Jason at CFI, the cost of this tank being all acrylic would be crazy expensive. So he mentioned the other way of doing a steel welded frame and then using marine grade plywood with an epoxy/fiberglass composite on three sides, for the front a piece of 1.5" acrylic would go on the front to make the viewing window. Debating if i trust in myself to create this system to hold over 2k gallons of water if i go with a 10'X10'x3'H display tank. Could be a very fun project though.

Seems like a real small sump and fuge for such a large display tank. If it were my system I would shoot for a 180 for the sump and at least a 100 gallon fuge. Especially if you have a whole bedroom as a dedicated fish room. If your going to think big, think big. Think of your fuge as a lagoon. Think of your return chamber as a tide pool.

Seriously, How many 1000 gallon display tanks have you ever seen with a 70 gallon sump and 30 gallon fuge?

Last edited:
Seems like a real small sump and fuge for such a large display tank

Agree with Duane.

For example, my 375g tank has a 125g sump and to me that is too small, but at the time it was all the budget would do..If you are going BIG, GO BIG!!!
BTW, I do NOT see a generator in this list....IMO, if you are going to have this BIG of a tank, backup support to me would be mandatory to protect the investment of this tank.

lol, before you all waste your time offering advice here you should note that the author has not posted since Feburary. I wasted time reading from start too only to find out the lack of progress in the end.

lol, before you all waste your time offering advice here you should note that the author has not posted since Feburary. I wasted time reading from start too only to find out the lack of progress in the end.

I knew that, thats why I asked if it was still in the works, hoping they would rejoin us.

I pulled the thread up and thought...darn it...where did they go!!!! I want to see this built! Its what I would like to do with my spare bedroom/office.

I knew that, thats why I asked if it was still in the works, hoping they would rejoin us.

I knew you knew that. I read the whole thread then got to your reply is how I figured out I wasted my time reading it.lol

whats funny is the people that didn't notice its a "forgotten" thread and still replied.:typing:

Sorry for the delay on the update, the house is still in the closing process :( so much for a short sale being fast, but I never thought it would be that quick. The tank is still in the plans, depending on what really happens and the closing costs it takes to get into the house.

Looking at a 1200 gallon display tank sstill and a 2k total system now, I think I have some more room or a larger closet in the next room over I might have to steal for the fish room also.

Back