12K SE ReefLux Bulb opinions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

Christmas shopping for yourself is fun :D

Anyhow, I was thinking about swaping out my 2 250w 10k XM bulbs for some 12k Reefluxes. I use a regular dual 250 w PFO ballast (not HQI).

The XMs are too yellow for me, so was thinking about going a tinge to the blue side. I've heard the 10k reeflux bulbs burn a bit on the pink side, so thinking I'd go with the 12ks instead.

What do you think?

My Reeflux 10ks did not have a pink hue to them although I've heard some do.

The 12ks are nice but may be a little dim on your regular pfo ballast for your taste.

I ran a 12K reeflux bulb before (250w se) and it was just as blue as my 20K XM bulb. Infact, I put a 20K on one side of my 75gal and the 12K on the other and couldn't tell the difference. Even after the bulb properly broke in, still no change. Not sure if I got an odd bulb or something, but if not and you just want a tint of blue, I'd probably try another brand in the 12K range. Here's a pic I took with the 12K and the 20K over the tank the same time.

Also, if you want to see what other bulbs look like, try this site. You can change the bulbs and see the difference they make on this tank http://chrismorris.ca/250wcolour/

Well the Reeflux 12k will be different on different ballasts. On my PFO HQI ballast it was a nice white with blue. On my regular PFO it was more blue and definitely not as bright. On my icecap ballast it was of course another color.

why can't this just be easy? ya know :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Thanks Matt - good input as always

krish - nice photo and thanks for the info. Did you ever try the 10k reefluxs? I have a black background in my tank, so i don't think it would be as blue as what we're seing in yours. On your smaller tank (the one with the gargonians), I know that has a black back, did you ever try the 12k reeflux on it?

I was reading a couple other reviews and some said their pink tones went away after the burn in. I was also reading the 12k had the same par rating as the 10k (not sure how that is possible).

Again, I'll end it with the question.... Why can't this just be easy? :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Well the Reeflux 12k will be different on different ballasts. On my PFO HQI ballast it was a nice white with blue. On my regular PFO it was more blue and definitely not as bright. On my icecap ballast it was of course another color.

Oh gees matt - really? Crap.. moral of the story, you'll probably ahve to buy 'em all to figure out what looks good based on your own taste, on your own tank.

That is what I did on my 120. On my pod I use the DE Phoenix 14k and love it. I wished I had tried this bulb on my old tank.

I spent 4 years trying to find the perfect bulb! :)

krish - nice photo and thanks for the info. Did you ever try the 10k reefluxs? I have a black background in my tank, so i don't think it would be as blue as what we're seing in yours. On your smaller tank (the one with the gargonians), I know that has a black back, did you ever try the 12k reeflux on it?

Nope...Never tried the 10K reeflux, but I did use the 12K reeflux on the cube with the black backround and it was still really blue. Here's a pic of the tank when I used the 12K reeflux. Not very accurate as I had to take out some of the blue for the pic to show, but anyways, an idea:)

BTW...I used a PFO ballast on both tanks:)

Last edited:
I have 2 x 250watt Reeflux 12ks on my 120 (4x2x2) with coralife electric ballasts. You are welcome to come take a look sometime. Maybe we can swap a frag or too as well :) I am only 3 miles from Reef Mystique, you could multi task.

They seem to be an excellent bulb for SPS. I have had more growth and better color than ever (though I had PC's before). I am having some trouble with my zoanthids and mushrooms though. I can't get them to acclimate. I gave up and moved most of them into my sump under a 175watt 20k XM bulb. All my mushrooms and zoanthids fully recovered in less intense illumination. I am considering switching to something less intense like the 250 watt XM 20ks for my mains system. Either that or buy more SPS :).

Jason - sweeeet! hey, could I ask you a huge, huge, gigantic favor ..... is there anyway I could test out the bulbs on my system for like 10-15 minutes to see if they look good on my tank/work well on PFO standard ballast? You'd totally be like my savor if I could.

I'd love to do some more trading too. For your troubles, I'll give you a freebee frag of one of the following: slimer, pink mili, purple tip acro, or i've got 3 types of monti cap too that you might like.

Any chance you'd be able to hook up this weekend? sorry for the short timeframe, but I plan to order the bulbs on Monday. I'm free almost all weekend long, so if you can hook up, let me know via PM.

Ben

Hey Dang- do you have 2 of 'em?

Have you noticed the pink hue that some folks talk about with the 10ks?

Jason and i are getting together on sunday and he has graciously agreed to let me see what the 12ks would look like on my tank. If I like those, I'll order some of those up. If not, I may give the 10ks a try.

Ben,

Here is a picture of that orange porites you where asking about (at least that is what I was told it was). Not a very good picture, has some nice polyp extension and color. That is probably my biggest complaint about the 12k reeflux bulbs. My pictures all turn out blue and out of focus. Might just be me though.

orangeencrustingporites.jpg

Jason - nice --did you pick that up from Mcguiver by chance? I think he had one a while back.

regarding fragging, i assume it's just like a heavy duty monti.. may need to bigger bone sheers to ge through it.

Jason - thanks a million for helping me out today. Great to see you again. I really like how the colors just POP under the different lights. It's not quite as hard on the eye's either compared to the bright xms.

My coral won't likely grow as much, but I think I'm gonna give it a try.. Here are some side by side shots.

My old 2 XM 250W 10ks on PFO magnetic ballast (bulbs about 9 months old)

313339348_69518b9464_b.jpg

Jason's 2 Reeflux 250w 12ks on same ballast (bulbs about the same age - 8 to 9 months old)

313339349_1a082675c7_b.jpg

More of the reeflux's - man those greens really POP
313334487_876bc85ab8.jpg

313339352_fafde9d22f.jpg

more of the reeflux's - the reds and blue's still look nice too
313354470_2a1797319c.jpg

313354476_087f7be0cd.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Ben that's quite the color change with the 12k reeflux. Did Jason notice any color shift with the bulb from new till now? It will be interesting to see your coral growth with new bulbs. Keep us updated. I'm using the 10k reeflux and I have had better growth with them than the xm 10k. Also running 440 watt vho actinic. I would like to save some power and go bluer with the hallides. Will be watching your progress.
Scott:)

Hey Scott - how goes it? I asked Jason about that when he was here this morning - in his opinion, he did not notice much of a color change from first purchase to now (8 to 9 months of use). He did say that he ran 20k bulbs before (I think he said xm 20ks) and they were about the same color as these supposed 12ks. Also, I read somewhere (can't remember where b/c have been doing a lot lately) that the 12k reefluxes were supposed to have about the same PAR rating as the 10ks. I don't see how this is possible, but that's what I read somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Jason told me his SPS growth has never been better. That said, i can't remember if he's ever run 10ks before.

Hey question for you Scott... What type of ballast do you use on yours? Do you notice a pink hue with your 10k reefluxes at all?

I'm glad to hear that growth was good. i'll order up the 12ks, try them out for a while and then if my growth isn't good, or I don't like them, i'll switch to something else. Keep your 10ks for me (don't throw them out even if old) and I may borrow them from you just to get an idea. For now though, I'm just excited for a change and to see those POPPING COLORS of the 12ks. :D :D :D

WoW!!! What a difference!!!:eek: Very cool. Is it as blue in person as I made it out to be with my comparison to the 20K XM being pretty blue and the color being the same???:)

yeah.. it's pretty blue. I've seen 20ks in person and I'd say this is pretty darn similar.

So, If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck right? then why do they call this a 12k bulb when it feels like a 20k? any logical explination for that? marketing?

Back