150g or 180g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i have been looking at 2 different skimmers..one is several inches taller..i may go with the shorter one,though it is more expensive

are you happy with the width of your tank???

It was a good starter tank for me Ron But I have plans to upgrade to a 300 gallon and I plan on only having it 24" deep but going either 30" or 36" wide I have seen with my tangs If i had that extra edge, room for them It would show them off allot nicer and in my opinion maybe give them some space ;)
To reduce aggression.
Good question on the tank dropping the answer is I run 3 sea swirls at 850 gph at each one my tank level is about 3/4 above the bottom of the overflow teeth buring operation, and they have been drilled for vacuum braking but they do siphon down about a 1 1/2" past the overflow teeth. Are you going to use sea swirls?

ronj said:
are you happy with the width of your tank??? also, why does the tank level drop 2-3" when the power is off?.....shouldn't it stop draining when the water level hits the bottom of the overflow teeth

no...i am looking at the seio's, but i will probably just go with a closed loop and add extraflow if needed

Skimmer choicies

I ended up buying 2 skimmers Ron. I always have 2 in operation The benefit I see is one will skim very wet and need to be cleaned more often and the second one produces a very dry dark skim mate just getting the nasty stuff I have one in my sump "the work horse" and the Other one is a hang on the back unit...HTH...Jeff

ronj said:
i have been looking at 2 different skimmers..one is several inches taller..i may go with the shorter one,though it is more expensive

do you like the sea swirls??? i have read about them, but do they angle down at all ..they look like they only move the top layer of water since they cannot be submerged...correct me if i am wrong.....i was wondering about them actually......i have only seen pics and read about them

what brand is your hang on skimmer??? i have one of those really ,really expensive and classy "Prism" skimmers on my small tank.. you may have heard of these....j/k....it works for really small tanks

do you like the sea swirls???

Great wave making devices fully adjustable and they direct flow to all layers in my 150 The only thing that is a drawback to me was there cost$$$

ronj said:
do you like the sea swirls??? i have read about them, but do they angle down at all ..they look like they only move the top layer of water since they cannot be submerged...correct me if i am wrong.....i was wondering about them actually......i have only seen pics and read about them

do you have the flow for the sea swirls coming from your return pump in your sump?

Yes all from sump mounted pumps

Ron I also run the center unit thru a chiller circuit before going up to the sea swirl

ronj said:
do you have the flow for the sea swirls coming from your return pump in your sump?

i hope i don't end up needing a chiller..we keep our house freezing, so this should help

If i may make a suggestion about your sump. Depending on the height of your stand a 55 can be really hard to work in if you anly have 4" that seperates the tank and the top of the stand. I would suggest a 40 breeder or a long and wide tank but short in height it can make life easy on you. When i ordered my tank i got an extra tall stand so that i could put a 75 under it and even with the extra height it still can be a little tricky to get in there and work.

Thats Just My Opinion.

i have been thinking about that...i am going to look at the lfs and see if they have one a little shorter..

i just calles..the girl said theydon't have one, but they could order me one..i am just going to keep this one and get the stand get built extra big...i am going to have access panel put on both ends of the stand

Back