150g updated pics

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

OK - our 150g has been up now for 5 wks so I thought it was time to post a little timeline of our "adventure" into the saltwater side of the aquarium hobby. Apologies in advance for the quality of some of the photos...we are still learning with the camera and also taking pictures through glass and magnifiers @ the same time. Hopefully these will get resized and make into our gallery when I find the resizers Nikki posted a long time ago.

Thanks Krish - hope the fam is feeling better...a quick Q though since you're here so early...

What's your theory on a timeframe as far as how long to wait before adding corals? We are have been following our lfs experts advice to the letter so far and he says 3 months...patience is HARD to maintain.

We'll also be adding a 4" Bluejaw Trigger female later today!:)

Thanks Krish - hope the fam is feeling better...

Thanks man...Things are looking really good today:)

quick Q though since you're here so early...

What's your theory on a timeframe as far as how long to wait before adding corals? We are have been following our lfs experts advice to the letter so far and he says 3 months...patience is HARD to maintain.

We'll also be adding a 4" Bluejaw Trigger female later today

Well, IMO, seeing corals are real sensitive to nitrates, I'd say whenever you can get them to drop off completely, will always be your best bet, however I'm sure a lot of people probably don't wait that long eventhough they should. I waited about 12 months before adding my first coral, but every system is different. You'll also want to get your calcium, alk and mag levels withing the right range and be able to maintain them there as well before adding them in so there ars a few things that have to be accomplished first before adding in any corals to ensure they thrive. Just a thought:)

Kevin told me that it was reef safe...I guess we'll see? We're also adding a Bluejaw Trigger today whom I'm under the impression is also OK for reefs...but "with caution" hopefully all will go well??

Found this on liveaquaria.com:

Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium.

Will just keep my fingers crossed!!

Do you have any snails or crabs in your tank? The trigger would have fun with them. Tanks looks great!:)

Luckily all the snails and crabs look to be too big for him so far. Not that he's not trying while we aren't looking. He has managed to pick off all but the smallest of our hitch-hiked feather dusters though.

Back