180g lagoon inspired reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

King_Neptune

Skimmer Skuzz
I been working on a little project for the last few weeks. Thought I would share some photos and whatnot to folks who like to follow builds. The base of the system is a 180g octagon tank that I picked up from a local reefer. Thanks, Jesse...this has been collecting dust long enough. Ill be doing a reverse style sump that will gravity feed back into the tank. Eventually Ill eventually add a frag tank to the system, but for now the build will have approximately 230g total volume once the sump is up and running.

Im really excited about the location of the tank, it sits next to a window and gets a solid beam of sunlight from around 1pm-7pm this time of year. During summer months, Im hoping to get some great coral growth. I also have an LED array that will fill in any gaps in the lighting schedule. Im currently modifying it from an existing 125 brick that I tore down a few days ago to populate the Octagon.

The outer perimeter will have 24" T5's to add extra lighting to complement the lack of UV light from my LED's. The inner space on the array will most likely house either a single 250w MH or a Plasma light. Im probably going to go plasma, but if I do...then Ill have to change the 80 degree optics for something tighter since Ill be raising the whole array a couple feet off the surface.
S6301286.jpg

The control panel will feature dimmable banks, 4 blue strings, and 4 white strings.
S6301287.jpg

Most of the wiring is done, I just need a couple more days to finish the project.

I scrapped the foam wall this time around, and went with a real rock wall instead. I used eggcrate for the panel, then placed pre-cut premium rocks and used mortar from the good folks at Marco rocks.
Key Largo Prime Cuts<br> By the pound<br> ships FREE - KL cut per Lb
S6301289.jpg

Just in case, I ordered double the mortar I thought I would use...glad I did. If anything another couple lbs would have been nice...but I made due.

I made my own overflow for the back to hold the heaters and water pumps. I also got a Mag6 pump that will feed up to the sump that will sit on the nice bench you see the carbon reactor sitting on. From there the overflow will drop back into the tank. I want to eventually plumb in a frag tank to also sit on the 9ft table I made for this system.
S6301290.jpg

The rock work is done in a horse shoe pattern with an open middle for me to have lots of space to do frags. Thats one thing that frustrated me about my old system...not enough room for frags. My overall plan is to have one arm SPS dominated, and the other arm to be LPS dominated, with a wave maker pushing up the middle.
S6301293.jpg

S6301295.jpg

Moved in my livestock and corals the other day. Everyone has adjusted pretty well.
I had 100lbs of mature LR. And since its a bare bottom system, I picked up another 200+lbs of base rock to finish the project.
S6301296.jpg

Till the sump is up and running in a few days, I have the skimmer going inside the DT.
S6301298.jpg

One thing that doesn't show in the pictures is my (for lack of a better term)closed loop system. Its actually pretty cool, I took 1/2 PVC and made an octagon ring that fits snug inside the tank wall. I drilled small holes every 6-8" that face up and towards the glass at a 45 degree angle. The ring is powered by an 1800GPH Pondmaster that draws from the back chamber and pushes it out to the front. The effect is a gentle yet constant upward draft of water that adds a nice amount of turnover for the system...but also ensures no dead spots on the glass. Im hoping this translates to less glass cleaning in my daily maintenance. If not, its at least nice to have the turnover it provides.

I want the overall project to look like a shallow reef lagoon from the front. I am anitcipating that the tank will give nice depth to the overall look of it all, and I cant wait to see it in 5 years.

I don't think I've ever seen a tank like that! Its look pretty good. I can't wait to see it with the lights. How high is it off of the ground?

I don't think I've ever seen a tank like that! Its look pretty good. I can't wait to see it with the lights. How high is it off of the ground?

The bottom of the tank is just a wee bit below the knee caps, the top is just at waist level. You can easily lean over and interact with the corals, or sit on a chair and watch the whole show while relaxing. And you are correct, I myself have never seen a tank like this either. I believe the story of this tank was that it came from a coral farm, then sat in some guys garage for a while. The tank is old and heavy, but Jesse gave it a fresh silicone reseal, and the unit has worked great for me so far. Im heading out to go work on my array some more. If all goes well...I should have them hanging tonight. Its been 3 days w/out light, and they have only been getting what bleeds through the window...but that is only a small amount compared to what they are used to. I still want to have the LED's over them ASAP.

Cool, I like things that are not you run of the mill. I also like a challenge. This is a good example of a challenge.

Finished up the control panel today. Drivers are mounted and wired in as well. Just need to connect the two and adjust the amperage. Ill do that in the morning then hang the lights around noon today. Been three days w/o anything more than sunlight that beams into the room. Its not enough to fully satisfy the corals and the stress is showing. It will be a good week or two before I get all my color back, but in the end, it will be worth the stress I put them under. Today Ill get started on the sump and Sunday I should have everything all set up and running.

Lights wired in. One white LED didnt fire up, but otherwise the unit worked flawlessly! Looks absolutely stunning, I measured everything dead on and the unit's spread matches the contour of the rock work perfectly! Overall I am extremely pleased to have a fully dimmable LED system over the tank. It doesn't look pretty, but I prefer saving 3 grand on my lights over looks ^_^
I lowered the array to about 10" off the surface. The corals were happy to have light again. Some pieces were browning a bit(It had been three days w/o a light), but within 6 hours I saw color start to seep into some of the pieces. So within a week or two, Im sure Ill be back to where they were before I began this project. Ill shoot some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Right now, Im still kinda undecided on what Im going to do for the sump. I have 2x 55g tanks. One has three chambers with baffles already in place.
IMG_0032.jpg

The other is open. Im not sure If I want a sump with one long chamber...or three smaller chambers to allow me separate filtration methods.

IM open for input. Fuge/DSB/MUD...or anything else that comes to mind. Im definitely adding my skimmer and the extra LR that I have to the sump, but that still leaves me plenty of room to do other methods.

If it were me I would want the separate chambers. I feel it will give better filtration. With a 180 DT and say 35 to 40 gal in your sump. That is not that much more volume to your system. Most sumps I have seen are 3 chambers. I would put in an extra chamber for media. In a 55 you have the room. If you are going to have a fuge chamber I would try to black out that section to keep algae out of the other chambers.
Just a couple of thoughts.

I think I'm going to have a 2 chambered setup. First chamber for the Skimmer and a 10" layer of LR underneath it, the second chamber for the Fuge. Ill have roughly a 40g Fuge. Since the 55g is only 18" tall, Im still undecided how deep to make the DSB. A lot of literature claims 6" is enough, but Ive also read books on the topic insisting you need 12" DSB to get it right. Obviously the deeper the sand bed, the less room I have on the top layer for macro algae if I choose to have it...

All setup and running smooth!
The Diatom bloom is in full swing so I'm pretty excited. It happened rapidly so things are progressing nicely. In about a month Ill begin taking care of the algae that will undoubtedly appear. But for now, I want it to propagate and help seed the tank with pods ect.
ooouu022.jpg

ooouu021.jpg

I love the low profile. catches the sunlight well in the afternoon.
Perfect to sit on the chair and chill. Love chilling in front of my reef with a nice bowl to smoke.
ooouu023.jpg

ooouu024.jpg

The big open space in the middle is extra nice for frags, I have a nice flat cut peice that I will place and make into a coral island at a later date. For now, I got pieces that are awaiting placement on the main rocks.
ooouu028.jpg

ooouu027.jpg

ooouu028.jpg

Some more random pics:
ooouu038.jpg

ooouu032.jpg

ooouu030.jpg

ooouu034.jpg

ooouu033.jpg

I got the Fuge light going on at night to balance the PH swing. I never had much trouble before...but this little bit will only serve to help even more.
ooouu041.jpg

Added a bunch of LR to the sump. Underneath the pile is a spray bar that injects the water to the bottom, this will keep things stirred up to prevent tons of detritus buildup. The down side is in the event of a power outage, the water siphons back into the tank...approximately 15g. To prevent this from happening I drilled a small hole just below the surface to allow air to escape back up the pvc if it falls more than a couple inches.
ooouu042.jpg

ooouu043.jpg

Heaters,filter and circulation pumps have plenty of room in the back.
ooouu039.jpg

A little homely looking, but its a functional unit and thats why I like it.
Fully dimmable LED array with Voltage meters to help fine tune the perfect balance.
ooouu040.jpg

I got plenty of room in the middle to add a nice MH light if I choose to. But I defiantly intend to eventually add T5 retrofit kits to the for sides of the array. 2 bulbs each side outta do it. Not as a primary means of lighting. But defiantly a nice addition to the spectrum. Ive seen enough tanks with multiple various spectrum to prove that it only enhances growth and color.
ooouu038.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I didn't expect, I need more flow. I currently have two mag 6's, a K4, my 1800gph pond master closed loop, and a Tunze6105 that just burned out a few days ago(gonna RMA a new one this week...only 6 months old). I have plans gotta pick up a couple more power heads. At least one more good Tunze 6105 for wave making. And something light to push water across the middle section near the bottom. Its not entirely dead...but I want more flow near the bottom to keep it clean.

Looking good. That tank looks like the old petco plant display tanks. I had one that was 2 tired and used it for a fish only in the top one and a reef in the lower one. Great tanks. Keep us posted.

Ya, a very heavy and solid tank. I'm pleased with it. Jesse said he finally found them online, gonna send me a link when he gets back on. $1,800 new, so when I heard that I was extra happy. The stand is a little ugly...but its really solid. Ill eventually add a fresh skirt around it to give it a new look. I just love the shape and size of the thing, especially the depth you get with it, and the ability to walk around and see it from just about every angle.

Ordered a marine catfish from indoor reef. Paul said he will have it in by Monday.
Gonna need the extra cleaning power to keep the bare bottom clean.

Back