185g New tank build question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blcktitanium

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of designing a system and as of now I up in the air about which to go with either an acrylic or glass tank. I have read the pros and cons about both.

My tank dimension are going to be 48Lx32Wx28H (about 185g) with a built in over flow with a pre drilled 2" drain and a 1" return from the sump. I'm also going to have two 2" intakes drilled in to the bottom of the tank for my 2 CLS with each having a 1 1/2" return teeing off to 6 3/4" outlets per system.

I know that for the dimensions I want my tank to be, acrylic would be the most advantageous. However in reading several books of successful reef keepers, it seems like the majority of everyone preferred and suggested the use of Glass over acrylic.

I was wondering if anyone could give my a hand or idea of any glass aquarium manufacturers that would be able to build such a tank.

I'd stray from acryllic, it will scratch on you. Acryllic will also bow a bit when filled. Especially with acryllic algae magnet, picking up tiny grains of sand. I'd go with STARFIRE glass. There are several custom tank makers in canada and the US, try searching on the web.
-Dave

I'd check with Ron from Aquarium Obsessed (a sponser here). He builds their glass tanks using starfire glass and does a great job. Glass or acrylic is a personal preference. It won't always bow on you...It all depends on how well it is constructed. You will have to be more careful with it as it will scratch easily, but like I said...A personal preference. Good luck!:)

Acrylic, Acrylic, Acrylic!!!!!!! :lol: I would go with acrylic. With a little care and planning scratching is a pretty minimal concern. The benefits of acrylic far outweigh glass IMO. Also, if you live in the WA area, do our economy a favor and buy local. I don't care if you buy from me, Jason at CFI or Envision in Portland. Let's keep NW $ at home! (ok I'll put the soap box away now...:p )

Glass or Acrylic...it was a decision I had to make too. From hardcore hobbiest around here it really seems to be a personal perference...I've heard glass aquariums are really well made these days with better glass and adhesives. I personally went with acrylic because it was lighter (I'm a skinny weakling) and it was easier for me to move. Also my floor (apartment) is not even, it affected my stand's level footing. I had to really do a trial and error with shimmys to level and flatten out the bottom platform - acrylic is more forgiving I heard for uneven platform and handle the shearing force better. Being a single dad living alone in a small apt and when the kids come over they are allowed to be roudy...and I wanted a more sense of security of less breakage than glass...i say less because I've heard acrylic can crack and break too.

I've seen large Glass reef tanks at the LFS that were beautiful. My new acrlic tank was more than twice as expensive as a similar glass tank.

My plant only (one fish) tank next to my main tank is made of glass...it was so inexpensive. The glass does show a bit of greenish tint compared to the acrylic but NO SCRATCHES...I abuse that magnet to kingdom come and it cleans off well - every minor scratch i get on the acrylic feels like my ex-wife sleeping with another guy. As all things - I get used to it.

It is up to you, i could go either way...Glass is extremly heavy but you can almost do anything to it without scatching. Took 5 guys to move my dads 225 glass tank in, but it only took 2 guys to move my 240 in. As far as acrylic scratching, i personaly dont have a problem with it, just stay slow when your by the sand and you should be fine.

Oh and by the way, NO tank should bow if it is built right ;)

-augustus

this is great and I appreciate everyones input. It seems as if it's a mix crowd. It seems as if I have somewhat of a hard decision to make. I mean I love the idea of the lightness of the Acrylic, but at the same time hate the fact that it scratches so easily. I like the idea of the new starfire glass and its clearity and the fact that it doesn't scratch, but the weight of the tanks are crazy especially since its only me and I haven't made two many friends in my new community that could help me move that heavy thing into the house.... decision, decision, decisions..... I will keep you all posted as far as my decision and the setup and progression of the tank.

Back