1guydudes tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Don't know if it matters, or if you've seen it... but there is an Advanced Aquarists article up now linking to a real paper (that I haven't read the whole way through because they make my head hurt) talking about the negative effects of red light on stony corals.... don't know if the ever grows you are looking at have reds, but if your going to lay money down, it might be worth a look before you decide...

When they pull stuff like this in the article
fetchObject.action
, I kind know better than to try to get too terribly far when I'm tired.. :)

But wasn't that for a very specific sps coral. Not a whole species wide thing?

I've seen threads with titles similar to this "Red led hurts sps " get ripped for misleading titles.

I'm sure some of the more dedicated sps people around here must have seen some of this.
I'm not so it wasn't a subject that I wanted to follow.

@mfinn - the research was specific to a certain coral i believe, yes... but from what i remember (on the phone, don't want to look it up) it could be thought of as a 'representative species'. i don't know, i'm not saying its right.. more just saying its out there and if i were about to buy leds, i'd read it first. some of that stuff gets so deep, all i can do is hope i make it back out the other side

Chad - i know its not what you typed, but all i heard was a sir mix a lot song.. sorry :)

lets not jack the thread with red....but someone wants to start a red kills coral one becuase of that aritcle me and mfinn ( I assume) are gonna argue that! the article for this one specific coral concluded that corals use red light to gauge incoming PAR. thats a long story and acutally goes to show full spectrum is better ( i have diy cree led with no reds btw). everbody taking words out of context and not fully understand the biology!

well, my intent wasn't to hijack or even to discuss honestly. i mentioned it because its newer, and new leds came up. i neither want to defned the merits of the study nor deny them... had i been about to switch lights, and there was seemingly new information available, i'd hope someone would mention it to me.

No hijacking here!
As always I appreciate all input. I think a lot can be learned surfing through tank threads. This isn't my 1st forum ;)
It's my.local.and last.

Imo u.v. can b much more a prob than red and yellow
Nothing like overloading ur corals zooanxthellia with u.v. or actintic lighting to watch it glow.
My new lights do have green as well.

Cool white
White
Blue
Uv
Red
Green
All these are in the lights.
-d

Thats excatly it. Waaaay to much $ spent on fish stuff lately. Gotta pull back on the rings or watever they say.

New lights r on my obd coral tank. Still gotta do some twerkin on the 120g.
I may have a par38 light set up for sale.
D

Back