2.5 gal seahouse tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

scottmdebord

Hay all
I'm tring to set up a 2.5 gallon seahouse tanks but running into size issue on filters and lights if anyone can give me some addvice it would be much help.

Ya it is going to be a calogy seahouse. My spelling is off I'm sure but I was told they only get 2.5 in and the do good in as little as 1 gallon . If I have been miss informed please let me know.

It s true thay need to be feed a lot but if you have a good copeapod population they will be just fine feeding 1 or 2 times a day .

Ps sorry for my bad spelling just seen I put seahouse and not seahorse

Ya it is going to be a calogy seahouse. My spelling is off I'm sure but I was told they only get 2.5 in and the do good in as little as 1 gallon . If I have been miss informed please let me know.
You have been SEVERELY misinformed.
The only seahorse that can be kept in that tank is H. Zosterae which is the dwarf seahorse.
"calogy" is H. Kelloggi and will get to 5-6" and require a minimum of a 29g tank for just one pair.
If the LFS selling these horses told you this information, Don't ever trust them again as they are out to sell you and probably are hoping for a repeat sale when you fail.
As already mentioned, the best information available on seahorses comes from the seahorse dot org link already provided.
Seahorses are NOT an easy fish to keep.
For dwarf H. Zosterae that WILL go in that tank, you have to continually hatch out live brine shrimp for them to eat as they will only feed on very small live food.

http://seahorse.fisheries.ubc.ca/pdfs/IDguide/kelloggi.pdf

It s true thay need to be feed a lot but if you have a good copeapod population they will be just fine feeding 1 or 2 times a day .
Even a good startup population of copepods or mysids or other "pod" life will be decimated by healthy seahorses, to the point where the population could not be depended upon to provide much sustenance, but with luck, will provide at least a few for the horses to "chase down" a live food.

I love seahorses and would love to keep them but I've heard you have to live feed them 3x a day. Is that true?
Again, check out the "org" for information as what you heard is only partially true.
Wild caught, and some net pen raised need live feedings, but most net pen raised have been trained to eat frozen brine. Unfortunately, they have been called "tank raised" in LFS's but in fact have had the fry taken from pregnant males and originally placed in tanks until ready for grow out in net pens in the wild. When they reach salable size, they are pulled out and sent to the buyers.
Best horses are tank bred and raised, totally in tanks, and will come from other hobbyists or from one of a few places like Seahorse Source
Obviously, the captive bred ones will command the higher price with wild caught being cheapest. Net pen raised will be a little more than wild caught.

Wow thanks for the corrections I got a lot of my info from a lfs in tacoma . Ill check out the web site and hopefully make it work thanks agine for the info rayjay

hatching brine shrimp for dwarfs is easy. u can purchase a brine shrimp hatchery and eggs at ur lfs or diy from a water bottle and air bump. there is a video on youtube that will show u how to make it. the only down side thing about hatching brine shrimp is, it is a continuous process...so u have to do it daily as their lifespan is about 2 to 3 days. i'd recommend practicing hatching brine shrimp before purchasing dwarfs and do lots of research on these little horses because they are very delicate and require proper care as far as filtration, tank setup, and tank mates. good luck hope this helps

Good luck.

I'm sorry but I just can't resist. If you know your spelling is so bad, why don't you do something about it? Try typing your posts in Word first and using spell check. Then cut and paste it into the forum. Give it a try!

Back