2 Part Epoxy Safe?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nemo415

Was wondering if anyone ever used two part epoxy that you get at Home Depot or Lowes . I'm thinking of setting up a new clam tank and wanted to cut base rock with a ceramic tile saw so one half would be flat then glue it to the back wall and sides of the tank. Would the Epoxy be toxic after it has cured ????

I dont know about 2part, but silicone would hold the rock if you lay the tank on its side place the rock and let it dry for two days. Its safe for sure. and it would be thicker and more shock absorbing if you bump the rock. Just a thought. Steve

Do you mean like the Loc-tite brand marine epoxy?
I have not tested it yet personally but did some research. The Loc-tite experts could not tell me all the chemical reactions that take place in SW never mind how the live stock would react.
I checked everywhere on line only to find one person try it with poor success.

I also asked the local aquarium. They tried it to fasten fake kelp to rocks in the shark tanks but it didn't hold up. After just a month or two the plastic kelp was floating.
I hope at some point to use a good amount of it in a mini system and see if some test corals, crabs, and pods react to it. But I have little time for proper testing.

You may be better off just using silicone. (A lot of it) with very thin slabs of rock.
S

I'm not sure either. There is a post mojoreef put up in another thread here advising someone to cut the live rock and glue it to the back wall using Epoxy, but no mention of what type of epoxy. Here's a little bump for ya...

Thanks for the reply's everyone , Shark the loctite brand is what I was considering ,Wrightme43 not sure if silicone would hold over time :confused: If anyone has done this let me know . Looked at alot of threads about "Great Stuff " foam insulation but unsure of that and thought base rock would be better . All suggestions are welcome. :)

Well on the silicone thing. I used to work on R.V.s. Have you ever seen those giant rollup awnings? There is a little metal rail that a beaded end of the fabric slides into. You measure, cut, silocone and screw the rail to the side of the r.v. The roll up awning has enough tension in the giant spring inside to break your hands and arms. I have removed all of the screws from one of the rails and and then rolled out the awning with the only thing holding against the tension being silocone sealant. It made a believer out of me. Have you ever tried to pry off a valve cover or oilpan that was installed using silicone sealant? Once it dries you can take all the bolts out and throw them away. That stuff is strong. Its completley up to you, it is your tank and you should do what feels right to you. I would feel much safer with silicone than epoxy if it were my tank. Steve

Thanks Steve silicone it is . Now that you mention it silicone is really strong once it drys completely . And at least I'll know that nothing will leach into the water that will hurt my live stock . Thanks for letting me bounce the idea off everyone. Shark and you helped me make up my mind , it is why forum boards are so valuable to this expensive hobby of ours. :D

You are more than welcome, and I really like your avatar. I got my ladyfriend a T-shirt with that picture on it, and she loves it. LOL

If you are looking for a 2 part epoxy made for use in your aquariums, e-mail me. I have a 2 part epoxy that is purple in color that works great.

Back