2 sixline wrasse

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

can you have 2 sixline wrasse in a 125 gallon reef with about 300 lbs live rock? I have one already and I would like to have another I just dont know what their personalities are like in groups...

Matt

I'll say no. Six lines are notoriously territorial. A fellow reefer just tried to add a Christmas wrasse to a 240g that already had a six line. The six line killed the Christmas.

I agree with sherman six line wrasse can get nasty!! but they are cool fish to have if you have some small pests in the tank.

I have a six line, and added a clown fairy wrasse in my 90 gallon about 3 weeks ago. no issues to report.

Don't do it Matt I agree with Sherman & Dr. Dee

I put a sixline in my 75 gallon Tank Matt that has a established school of Leopard wrasses it took 5 months but my six line is starting to show allot of aggression towards the Leopards :evil: I will never get another just my 2 cents...Jeff

matts125 said:
can you have 2 sixline wrasse in a 125 gallon reef with about 300 lbs live rock? I have one already and I would like to have another I just dont know what their personalities are like in groups...

Matt

I have 2 six lines in my tank. They were at each other constantly for about 2-3 weeks but finely figured out neither was going anywhere. They do not bother each other now. I think 2 in a 125 would be a mistake.

I know in salsaking's huge tank he had two sixlines, they beat on eachother pretty bad it seemed.

-Josh-:cool:

Found this online...don't know how much adequate space there needs to be but 125g would seem fine to me as long as you had plenty of rockwork.
just my 2cents :)

Disposition: Very non-aggressive to larger fish. May occasionally bully and chase smaller fish, especially other wrasses, but usually results in nothing serious. Several may be kept in a tank if adequate space is provided

Adequate Space = The ocean :)

That's not a fair statement to make. That's like saying "I could do a backflip if I wanted. I just don't want to."

Seriously... what kind of statement is that? "Everything will be OK if it's OK."

Edit:I just re-read this, and realized it sounded like I was picking on Jake65. This is not the case. Rather, Im frustrated with an e-tailer's irresponsibility. These are the same people still marketing goniopora and elegance corals as viable. Grr...

Last edited:
:eek: You mean everything is not going to be OK???:cry: (runs away crying)

On a serious note I would have removed one of mine after the fact if I could have caught it. They looked like race cars on a track. One was on the others tail and they did laps for weeks. They still chase on occasion and my tank is over 500 gallons. If you like the look of the fish check out a jester gobie, they are really cool fish.

Adequate Space = The ocean :)

That's not a fair statement to make. That's like saying "I could do a backflip if I wanted. I just don't want to."

Seriously... what kind of statement is that? "Everything will be OK if it's OK."

Edit:I just re-read this, and realized it sounded like I was picking on Jake65. This is not the case. Rather, Im frustrated with an e-tailer's irresponsibility. These are the same people still marketing goniopora and elegance corals as viable. Grr...[/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL...That was the same thing I was going to say in my first post. I agree with you Sherman, online sources can be very unreliable sometimes. To many conflicting ideas on what will work and what won't etc. :)

Related Question

Related Question:
What do you guys think about keeping a 6 line wrasse in a mixed community? I have a Coral Beauty, Common Clown, and blue yellow tail damsel that have been together in a 55 gal corner tank for about 3 years; no problems. I was thinking that I would throw in a 6 line and maybe another fish or two (to be determined) in the future. From what I've heard they should be fine together? Future additions, excluding a wrasse, won't be bullied by the 6 line?

Wadyathink?

You'd probably be alright. My sixline is in a 38g with 4 other fish. I think I might be tempting disaster with that many fish in such a small tank. On occasion, the sixline gets a little... "punky." He'll flash the only fish smaller than him, a cinammon clown. He tried flashing the foxface. Once.

Alpental said:
Related Question:
What do you guys think about keeping a 6 line wrasse in a mixed community? I have a Coral Beauty, Common Clown, and blue yellow tail damsel that have been together in a 55 gal corner tank for about 3 years; no problems. I was thinking that I would throw in a 6 line and maybe another fish or two (to be determined) in the future. From what I've heard they should be fine together? Future additions, excluding a wrasse, won't be bullied by the 6 line?

Wadyathink?

I'm not sure if the blue yellow tail damsel will get along with the sixline? My friend and I had one of those and there not to friendly with anyone. I one time had 4 green chromis and it killed my 1st sixline. I thought green chromis were the nicest damsels. Oh yea by the way, I had a 40 gallon breeder. So I think 40 and a 55 gal makes a big difference. I later got rid of my chromis and added my 2nd sixline and it's happier ever since.

Back