2 tanks 1 sump ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cobyb

i plan to turn an old 55 gal in to a wicked good sump,and sence we have a breeding pair of cardnals, the wife wants to start a breeding tank for them. will it be ok to run both tanks off the 55 gal sump?
thanks all.

Pros & cons to both.
I can list a couple cons. one If one disease hits one tank they all get it.
Plumbing is crazy If you want it to be failsafe. Algae from one to the next. Skimmer big enough for both? Extra heating plus back ups?

i believe myteemouse has is 2 tanks running on a single sump. i dont think it would be a problem. you can use just 1 return pump and split it to run to both tanks. you are always gonna have the what if factors

As with anything there will be pros and cons. 1 sump 2 tanks has it's share of pros and cons just like 2 tanks with 2 different sumps have. You plan it out carefully and remember to quarentine any new livestock to reduce some of your "cons" and you should be fine. Many people do just what you are trying to do with no problems at all.

Good luck if you go through with it :)

yes I do it's is less power but like they say one can infect the other,, BUt in my case one has made the other much better..~

I emptied the small er tank and tied it into the bigger tank..
So really I just expanded the bigger tank volume.. I didn't use ANYTHING (rocks or sand) form the smaller tank just the corals that gt dipped..

I have 4 tanks plumbed to a sump: 65g, 30g and 2 40b.
Just be sure to have enough room in the sump. I have a 100g sump which I run half empty (or half full depending on your point of view lol).
If you plumb it well, you can selectively close one or more tank for treatments and so on.
One big pro: one Water change

I run everything off of one sump as well. I need about 75 gallons of space just for shut offs.

Much easier to keep one system stable as well especially with something as fragile as tank for raising fry.

I run multiple tanks off one sump, just seems logical. Easier to control temperature and evaporation, only need one skimmer, can move stuff around without worrying about acclimation, etc.

Question. So if a fish has itch in one tank isn't it going to eventually infect the other? Same with bryopsis ect..?

It is possible but not sure. I have had some problems in one tank that never affected another. Also, even with 2 separate systems there is an high possibility to transfer diseases, unless you use different set of maintenance tools, you never move corals or fish, you wash your hands before to take care of the second tank and so on.
I've found out that with multiple tanks I can invest all my efforts for making it more stable and safe.
If you quarantine and take care of your fish and corals you are not gonna have this problem.

thank you all im going to do it, cause it make sence to me to. and of course be careful anyone have a good idea for sump configureation. i really want to incorparate a fuge in it. i'll be using a old 55 gallon. 48x12x23 ish
thanks again

Question. So if a fish has itch in one tank isn't it going to eventually infect the other? Same with bryopsis ect..?

yes.... bryopsis maybe a little bit faster :(

i think the fail safe way to do this is 2 separate return pumps.. Im not a big fan of gate or ball valve restriction, IMO everything is on and open or closed and off....

as long as the sump could handle the amount of water flowing thur it, the return pumps should match the distance to the tank

I have a vision after i hit the lottery, that 500g rubber made would be in the basement as sump with like 2 pool size pumps and id have a few tanks on diffrent levels of the house with one central drain like right in the middle of the house... then id have the closet's up stairs really being control rooms

not to hijack..... but you can. but for what your trying doing... No i wouldn't

Last edited:
Back