20 Gallon Mixed Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Russter

Northern Reefer
I started out in saltwater 3 years ago after 20+ years of freshwater. With a 55 gal and no clue I set up my first marine tank with budget equipment and a little chance for success. Then I discovered the numerous reef forums on the internet and realized I was going about this all wrong. I upgraded my tank to a 90 gal and also replaced most of the cheap equipment I had bought. This tank was in our dining room and I was never really happy with the noise and the constant water on the hardwoods.
Last year I tore that tank down and set up a 20 gal nano in my basement, with all the equipment located in a fish room directly behind the tank. I converted the old 55 gallon into a sump and used most of the old equipment (which is now oversized for the tank LOL).
The corals and fish (and my wife) seem to love this new setup.

Here is a picture of the tank when first set up September 23, 2010.
IMG_7630.jpg

And a picture of the tank December 2010
IMG_8229.jpg

I will be detailing in further posts the fishroom, equipment, corals and fish.

Thanks for looking,
Russ :yo:

Some details:

Display Tank - standard 20 gallon high
Sump - 55 gal split in 3 compartments: refugium, return, skimmer
Auto top off - standard 10 gal with Level Loc ATO (on timer) using an Aqualifter pump on a float switch to push water to the sump
Skimmer - SWC Xtreme 160 cone
Return pump - Mag 18 dialed back about halfway with a ball valve
Controller - Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite with 2x PC4, NET Module and SL2 with pH probe
Water movement -EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10 ES
Dosing - Drew's Dosers for 2 Part
Lights - Odyssea 4 x 24W T5. 2x ATI Blue Plus, 1x ATI Aquablue Special,1x KZ Figi purple
Reactor - Bulk Reef Supply Dual Carbon/GFO
RO/DI - Bulk Reef Supply 75 gallon/day 5 stage system
Rock - DIY agrocrete with a couple of pieces of live rock
Misc. - American DJ PC-100A 8 Channel Power Strip, 5" computer fan to cool lights

FTS taken today
IMG_8339.jpg

The fish room
IMG_8343.jpg

IMG_8341.jpg

that looks really good

Thank you very much.

Stocking list:
2x Percula Clownfish -Amphiprion percula
Strawberry Dottyback - Pseudochromis porphyreus
Lawnmower Blenny - Salarias fasciatus
Cleaner shrimp - Lysmata Amboinensis
Numerous hermit crabs and snails

And now for some more pictures...

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_8254.jpg

IMG_7651.jpg

Coral list:
Frogspawn - Euphyllia divisia
Hammer - Euphyllia fimbriata
Flower Pot - Alveopora sp.
Yellow polyps - Parazoanthus gracilis
Pulsing Xenia - Xenia sp.
Devil's Hand Leather - Lobophyton sp.
Colt - Cladiella sp.
Acan Lord - Acanthastrea lordhowensis
Sun coral - Tubastraea sp.
Green star polyps - Pachyclavularia sp.
Favia - Favia sp.
Zoas - Zoanthid sp.
Palys - Palythoa sp.

IMG_7918.jpg

IMG_8242-1.jpg

IMG_8316.jpg

IMG_7844.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

IMG_8244.jpg

IMG_8247.jpg

Last edited:
Got two Bangaii cardinals out of quarantine and into the display tank the other day. I have always liked this type of fish and since all they seem to do is swim in one spot I thought they would be the perfect final fish added to the tank.
Apparently my strawberry basslet had other ideas. He has harrassed these cardinals from the moment they entered the tank. I did not think there would be a problem because they are quite a bit bigger than the basslet. When I got home yesterday, one of the cardinals was gone...stuck in the overflow and dead. Not impressed. I think that the basslet chased him in there and he got stuck.
I am contemplating trying to catch the basslet for a more peacefull fish and replacing the cardinal. I think I will have to build a fish trap because the basslet is way too fast for a net.

Back