200 G Plywood tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok guys and gals Getting ready to start project, FInished all my personal stuff and can now concentrate on this tank. I did some calculations and came up with a price for a complete 300 gallon system built from plywood. This will include a 112 gallon sump also built from plywood.

Here is the breakdown of What its going to consist of:

Plywood: 78.00 + 69.00 for sump
Weston epoxy and cloth :105.00
Glass Starphire: 272.00
total 524.00

Misc items to be bought
Reeflo Dart
Reeflo Snapper
2 ea Eheim 1262
Ocean motion 8 way
Lighting to be determined

Still debating on few things, But closed loop is the way I am going. The Snapper is going to run a calfo maniold. The eheims will run thier own small closed system in and out of rock. Still have to figure out how Iam going to do it. But the tank is first. Hopefull to start next week. with Grand opening of store and orginzational tasks comming I hope I have timne for this. Know anyone wanting 4 55 gallon tanks when finished? LOL. May keep them for shop though. So stay tuned!!!

Sounds great man! Finally! I see you have there, "Lighting to be determined", I say get some metal halides man...You know you want to:p I wish you the best with your project again and also, with your new business:)

Thanks Krish, After the meley in the other thread I am beginning to question my methods. For a tank this big it could be rather steep for T5 but I am gonna wait and see. I have about 4 MH ballasts in the garage left and 4 IC 660. Gonna compare and make descision after everything else is done. So the end game is not played yet. the demensions will be 30" H x 48" L x 48" W. 299 gallon. So it should prove out to be quite interesting.

Thanks Krish, After the meley in the other thread I am beginning to question my methods. For a tank this big it could be rather steep for T5 but I am gonna wait and see

What's Luke's pm number? I gotta tell him this one:lol: Yeah man...MH's may be the way to go on this one regardless of how much I know you want to run T-5's. Don't worry, you'll love the spectrum man...Trust me;)

Any particular reason why you are going 30 high? Not sure if you answered that yet, but here it is again.:)

krish75 said:
What's Luke's pm number? I gotta tell him this one:lol: Yeah man...MH's may be the way to go on this one regardless of how much I know you want to run T-5's. Don't worry, you'll love the spectrum man...Trust me;)

Any particular reason why you are going 30 high? Not sure if you answered that yet, but here it is again.:)
With a plywood tank your gonna have a 2 inch frame around the glass, I wanted bigger viewing area. Thats why the 30 inch, As Far as MH go I have used them extensively in the past and converted all my tanks except 1 to T5. So I know the effect but wondering if T5 will do it.

Last edited:
With a plywood tank your gonna have a 2 inch frame around the glass, I wanted bigger viewing area. Thats why the 30 inch, As Far as MH go I have used them extensively in the past and converted all my tanks except to T5. So I know the effect but wondering if T5 will do it.

Cool man...Sounds great! :)

Something to consider: in sealing a plywood tank, you are probably going to use fiberglass and/or epoxy. Although both will do the job initially, plywood is flexible (compared to, say, glass). Over the long haul, I have doubts you can reasonably expect the seal to hold. I currently have a large plywood tank that has been setup for over 2 years and have had no problems, but I am planning on replacing it with another one and will use sanitred on the inside. Everthing I have read about this stuff makes it perfect for a plywood tank and I wish I had known about before I built my current one.
http://www.sanitred.com/

JC

JC Pollman said:
Something to consider: in sealing a plywood tank, you are probably going to use fiberglass and/or epoxy. Although both will do the job initially, plywood is flexible (compared to, say, glass). Over the long haul, I have doubts you can reasonably expect the seal to hold. I currently have a large plywood tank that has been setup for over 2 years and have had no problems, but I am planning on replacing it with another one and will use sanitred on the inside. Everthing I have read about this stuff makes it perfect for a plywood tank and I wish I had known about before I built my current one.
http://www.sanitred.com/

JC

I have 2 160 galoon tanks JC that 12 years old, using the old Epoxy paint method still running today no leaks. This current tank will Have Epoxy resin with fiberglass cloth. It will be like a swimming pool more then a Reeftank. with the addition of 1/2" glass it will hold. I got a buddy that has a tank using HD epoxy floor paint that has been running for 15 years. Thats beetter then most glass tanks being held by silicone lol. No worries man.

Back