20H Seahorse tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mschrissygil

:D Just getting started! This was the tank that I started my first reef with and it was just sitting upstairs in the hallway with some hermit crabs, live rock and aiptasia, so I decided I need to get it going again, but wanted to do something different with it.

So far the plan is...
~20H
~Nova extreme light fixture 96w T5HO
~2 Aqua Clear HOB filters (I only have one and a K3 right now, but the K3 will be replaced with the other Aqua Clear as soon as I track down the rest of the pieces)
~Around 15lbs of live rock
~3/4-1 inch sand bed
~Macro Algae
Codium (Tall)
Flame Algae
Halimeda (Monile/Incrassata)
Red Titan Algae
Gracilaria
Red Gracilaria
~snails & blue legs
~cleaner shrimp
~still undecided on seahorse type...either H. Erectus or H. Reidi
~1 pipefish
~a few of my nicer looking zoas from the 54 gallon and maybe some other softies and gorgonians depending on how much room is left.

I would love to hear comments and suggestions!

Looks great! I really like the look of that tank/stand/light combo, very clean and modern looking. Good luck, keep us posted on the seahorse setup, my daughter also wants a seahorse tank.

Last edited:
Also don't forget items that the seahorses can hang on to with their tails. Such as algaes and gorgonians.

Thanks ajnweb! :)
spllbnd2...I wanted to add the shrimp to help eat unwanted food since they need to be fed so often and are picky. I have also tossed around the idea of a couple of little bumblebee shrimp. The K3 is going to be replaced with another aquaclear, so that shouldn't be too much flow for them. Also, all of the macro algae that I listed is being shipped today and I will allow plenty of time for it to grow before adding the horses. I still have a lot of reading to do on gorgonians, so I'm not sure which ones, if any, I'll add. Thanks for the links :) I had already been reading on some of them and will check out the others.

The red finger gorgonian is awesome, but difficult for some to keep alive. It likes low light and stronger flow to help with algae removal. A beautiful red with big white polyps. It can't touch air either or the whole gorgonian will die. I had one in my 125 gal sps tank a while ago and my emporer angel nipped at it. It did well for a while, was encrusting to the rocks even then it's tips got exposed to air during a water change and it died.

Cute little seahorse tank.

Edit: I just read the cleaner shrimp in your list. I wouldn't get that. I experienced a cleaner shrimp kill my dragonface pipefish.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'll read up on that gorgonian, but if it likes stronger flow, I don't think it's going to work :(

Since both of you suggested no cleaner shrimp, what do you think of the little bumble bees or sexy shrimp?

yeah def get the korolia out of there. i wouldnt even recomend them with anemone. they will get caught on the side of it and get sucked in slowly but surely. Happened to a beautiful green BTA of mine :( thing glew in the dark, what a waste it was. think a small RIO or something without a lot of openings on the suction side would be best.

All of the macro algae is in, but the tank is still cloudy, and it's driving me crazy! I am ruinning carbon in both filters and doing 5 gal water changes a day. Any suggestions?

Julia and I have a 30-gallon Oceanic cube tank that we are setting up for seahorses. It has been running since February, and we plan to add seahorses in July or so. Right now, we have LR, macroalgae, and some compatible soft corals. We will just have the seahorses with no fish or shrimp as tankmates. We have one other tank set up, an SPS nano, and I will be setting up a third tank in the garage soon.

Your hang-on filters may be all that you need to provide flow in the tank. And make sure that you will be able to keep your water temperature down around 74 degrees. At temperatures higher than that, seahorses are more susceptible to infections and other problems.

The links to seahorse specific sites are very good. We look forward to joining you in our seahorse adventure soon.

Gary and Julia

Tank is looking good. I too cannot believe how cool the tank looks with just tha macros in.

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks for the replies!
I'm still having a hard time with the cloudiness. I took out the cactus caulerpa and a bunch of the red gracilaria to see if that would help. The caulerpa was disintegrating and every morning, the red gracilaria had micro bubbles all over it.

Anyone have any advice? I'm still doing 25+% water changes every other day and running carbon in both HOB filters.

the red gracilaria had micro bubbles all over it.

I don't know about the cloudiness. That can be caused by several different things, but I doubt it's the plants.

Having had freshwater planted tanks for quite a while now, those micro bubbles you're referring to in the freshwater world is called pearling. I don't know if it's the same for saltwater macros, but I imagine that it is. What happens is your water has oxygen in it, plants take in CO2 and release oxygen. When plants are very healthy and getting everything they need, they release that oxygen to a point where the water becomes supersaturated with oxygen. When that happens, the water can no longer hold as much oxygen as the plants are releasing and it becomes bubbles. Generally those bubbles will come off the plant and float to the surface, but I have seen my plants do what you're describing.

Like I said, this is all from my freshwater planted tanks, but I imagine the same thing could take place in a saltwater tank especially with the amount of macros you have.

Back