210g setup need help please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

strykker

Hi everyone i have a few questions that i was hoping some one can help me with. i am not new to aquariums but only small ones i was going to start a 75g reef
and actually ran into a great deal 210g oceanic and stand came with a huge uv sterilizer large pm sump or fuge not sure which by the look of it is odd looking compared
to others and came with a big skimmer and waste collector on the side. tank is already drilled and has over flows and 1 return and supply on each end. apparently it
was in a corporate office and they took it down i got it for 300.00 sold my other tanks 275.00 and basicly paid 25 bucks for it!
what i need to know is what type of setup i should use. looks like it had 3 pumps 2 returns and skimmer pump. should i go with one big pump like a dart and break
down to my equipment or take and go back with 3 smaller pumps.
also should i use this pm sump/fuge and or add the another and have both
also lighting should i go with t5 or led.
i am wanting pretty much easy going stuff not exotics, only cool fish and corals
i have had a small 40 saltwater for 2 years with no issues just want a big one also i am tackling it big time and putting it in the wall i have a small room on
the other side of the living room and gonna make it my fish room/den
i plan on 200lbs of sand,around 250lbs of rock i have a nice couple of heaters and and 2 korila 1050s
any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated!!!!! thanks

Keep it simple is my best advice. The fewer pumps and sumps and ... the less chance of a failure or leak or problems. I would go with one sump, one return pump and since it sounds like it isn't drilled for a closed loop just use powerheads for your flow. Lighting is going to come down to what your budget up front is. Either T5's or LEDs will grow anything you want. We've had both. T5's will be less to set up at first but will add up quickly with bulb replacements every 9-12 months and pass up the LED's in cost quickly. They will also put out more heat and may cause issues that way in the summer. However given you are in Texas you probably have AC so that may not be as much of an issue as it is for some of us without AC. LED's will be a big saver in the long run but there is definitely a higher start-up cost. They do pay for themselves rapidly though. If you have the ingenuity to DIY your LED's that's even more of a saving than store bought units. Otherwise it sounds like you have started on a great adventure. Just do it as right as you can the first time so you don't have to spend more money and time later upgrading. Most of all HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

And BTW... :welcome: to RF

Keep it simple is my best advice. The fewer pumps and sumps and ... the less chance of a failure or leak or problems. I would go with one sump, one return pump and since it sounds like it isn't drilled for a closed loop just use powerheads for your flow. Lighting is going to come down to what your budget up front is. Either T5's or LEDs will grow anything you want. We've had both. T5's will be less to set up at first but will add up quickly with bulb replacements every 9-12 months and pass up the LED's in cost quickly. They will also put out more heat and may cause issues that way in the summer. However given you are in Texas you probably have AC so that may not be as much of an issue as it is for some of us without AC. LED's will be a big saver in the long run but there is definitely a higher start-up cost. They do pay for themselves rapidly though. If you have the ingenuity to DIY your LED's that's even more of a saving than store bought units. Otherwise it sounds like you have started on a great adventure. Just do it as right as you can the first time so you don't have to spend more money and time later upgrading. Most of all HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

And BTW... :welcome: to RF

Great advise eww,
Research a bunch and buy it once!!!

Welcome to Reef Frontiers. I am really looking forward to following along with your build. Please start a thread in the members showcase forum and give us some info on your plans for the fish room and in wall build.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers. I am really looking forward to following along with your build. Please start a thread in the members showcase forum and give us some info on your plans for the fish room and in wall build.

I second that Lorie,
Would also like to add. We will need lots of pictures. Some of us here dont read real well...

cool thanks im gonna start rounding stuff up
i was thinking on getting one big pump and later get the ocean swirl or something like that after its all established
plus i am a major diy i can build basiclly anything and have major electrical exp so i was thinking of building and led setup just not sure how to know if i have enough
also planning on setting up all with the pics and stuff and post my build

my major question is who has the best deals on the big pumps,leds,and dry rock the rest is minimal cost i think!

Back