28g nanocube led

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

crizzleb

Sorry if this has been covered but I did a search and found nothing.

I am looking at the new JBJ nanocube 28g LED. What if any input/advice can anyone give me on this tank? I am looking to get back into the saltwater field after a move and such. Are LED lighting any good? Or should I go with a MH or HQI? I couldnt find anywhere about a protien skimmer that comes with it. If so is there any I could buy to fit inside it or use with that particular setup?

Thanks for the help
crizzleb

LED's are still an unproven for sure method, i am going to be using them though and i know there are a bunch of people on here that made the change. they are newer but there is still a good amount of information behind them to support good growth and coloration of corals.

As for the skimmer, i would ask skimmer whisper on here or do a quick google search to find one that is designed for these, i had one at one time but i dont remember the name of it.

I wish I could tell you more about the LED's...I've purchased the nanotuners LED upgrade kit, but I haven't installed it yet...I'm currently running 150 HQI w/nanotuners PC 36W upgrade actinics. Lots and lots of heat. My little 1/15th chiller runs all evening...noisy as hell. I'm not completely convinced the LED's will match the MH lighting wise, but I'm very interested in removing the heat, and ultimately the chiller.

As for a skimmer...it does come with one, but a little research quickly determined it's a POS. I run a Tunze 9002 DOC in a CPR HOB refugium (medium)...I've heard that you can fit it in the center rear chamber, but you need to look into buying a SteveT collection cup so you can open the lid. It's a decent skimmer.

Yea I figured the skimmer would be a POS. I think im going to purchase it. Let me know how your install goes of your LEDs (whenever you decide to put em in =]) Im curious about them. When I had to give up my system before they were still new and not many people even had them yet.

Back