29 gal project

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

coil1002

My tank thus far

2 55 w pc 1 50/50 1 10 k
20 pounds live rock more to come on Friday (Thank you CJG)
40 lbs aragonite carib sea
3 maxi-jet 400
1 Jager 150 w heater

Any input would be appreciated

I have a 150 w MH that is on the way

nice work i hope to see an awsome aquascape in there once u get more rock also when u aquascaping rock try and think about what corals u plan to buy so u can have it scaped out for best coral placement rearraging rock is a hassel and a bad habit by me but do right the first time and u never have to chage your main rock
keep up the good work

looks good!!...boy that thing looks like it will have some flow in it!!! good job..what kind of life are you thinking about adding???

Looks great! Was your LR fully cured, and if so, how long did it take for the ammonia and nitrites to get to zero? (there is always some die off in shipping) I recently set mine up and bought cured rock and was amazed at how quickly the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels changed. I had planned on posting that in another thread just for an FYI...I found it rather interesting. Since we're pretty much in the same stages, I'd be interested in what you plan to stock with too.

Looks great so far! How old is the setup? Thanks for sharing:)

Few days just set it up

Ron Hopefully sps and the like maybe an anemone and a clown

Don I plan on adding a skimmer in 4 months Never thought of a back up heater. I do plan on adding a 20 gallon long as a fuge/sump I may put another heater in there then as a back up.

Burrower my nh3 spike has been slight but i am at day 4 its at 0.25 I have yet to take it today. The rock was cured so I do not expect cycling to take that long. I may drag it out a little longer by adding the riock in stages but we do what we have resources for.

I will keep up to date on it in this thread

Last edited:
Def add a backup heater. I would put both in the sump. Looking good.

what kind of skimmers have you looked into??? are you getting a sump skimmer or a HOT skimmer??? the octopus' are getting some good reviews..i have one myself...they are sump skimmers

what kind of skimmers have you looked into??? are you getting a sump skimmer or a HOT skimmer??? the octopus' are getting some good reviews..i have one myself...they are sump skimmers

A sump skimmer. Would love to get an octopus but the price is way too high maybe if I can find a good deal on one. My last tank was a 55 had a red sea Berlin on it not the turbo the regular one. It worked well but damn I paid way too much for it. For the price I could have made four. So I am still out on a skimmer I really do not want to pay over fifty for one although for that I probably need Santa.

check this one out...these guys have really great prices(the lowest)....this one would be perfect..you can't find a good skimmer under $100!!!!! you can't beat that..the next larger model up is only $125!!!! this guy is a really nice guy..he is also a sponser!!

check this one out...these guys have really great prices(the lowest)....this one would be perfect..you can't find a good skimmer under $100!!!!! you can't beat that..the next larger model up is only $125!!!! this guy is a really nice guy..he is also a sponser!!

can I find a semi decent skimmer for under 100 ? any one have any idea how well the jebo skimmers work ?

here is an updated pic

Now I just have to wait for it to cycle I have not even had an amonia spike yet

Yeah...You can always add a hardy damsel in there to speed up the process some and also give you something to look at. My first ever saltwater setup, I put in 3 chromis after about 3 weeks and they did fine. Once the tank had built up all the necessary bacteria to support those 3 guys, I took them out and replaced them with some clowns and began stocking from there. A lot of people have different appraoches, but mine has always been using hardy damsels to get things going while at the same time giving me something to look at:)

Back