29 Gallon Biocube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jennwest

Hello!
Here is my 29 Gallon Biocube! I had the tank running for about five months but then had to make the move from San Diego to Seattle. I took the live rock with me in buckets so I didn't really have to cycle it again. It has been set up here for three months. I am excited to get more stuff in there! I just ordered a skimmer for it which should arrive early this week.

XWiVN.jpg

Nice little set up.
Welcome to Seattle and Reef Frontiers.
How are your clowns getting along together? I would have thought that the tomato clown would pick on the other one.

Looking for more stuff, check out the Puget Sound Aquarium Society forum, in the club forums, and see about going to the Bob Moore Frag swap in February.

Nice little set up.
Welcome to Seattle and Reef Frontiers.
How are your clowns getting along together? I would have thought that the tomato clown would pick on the other one.

Looking for more stuff, check out the Puget Sound Aquarium Society forum, in the club forums, and see about going to the Bob Moore Frag swap in February.

Thanks!
They definitely aren't best friends but they get along pretty well as long as the ocellaris stays away from the tomato's anemone! I wouldn't have put two clowns in the same (small) tank but they came together (from someone elses tank) and they get along most of the time.

Awesome start on the tank!
You are in the right place to learn and grow.
I love your rock work. Keep up the good work, and as Pisces stated look into the bob Moore meet if your not doin anything that day.
You won't regret it.
Are you running the standard lighting or a biocube?

Awesome start on the tank!
You are in the right place to learn and grow.
I love your rock work. Keep up the good work, and as Pisces stated look into the bob Moore meet if your not doin anything that day.
You won't regret it.
Are you running the standard lighting or a biocube?

Thanks! I'll definitely try to make it out to the meet!
I took the hood off and have the Nova Extreme Pro with t5s.

Nice setup. Have your clowns bit you yet? Every clown ive had has bit me...lol. I get clowns by the pair. Ill get some, get bit. Get rid of them and in a month or 2, get another pair. Im on my 4th pair!!....lol. Vicious cycle. But i like watching them.

Nice setup. Have your clowns bit you yet? Every clown ive had has bit me...lol. I get clowns by the pair. Ill get some, get bit. Get rid of them and in a month or 2, get another pair. Im on my 4th pair!!....lol. Vicious cycle. But i like watching them.
Hah yes one of them always does! They are definitely fun to watch!

Nice little Biocube.

What skimmer did you get for it?

I got the aquatic life mini skimmer, I'm hoping it works well! After looking around online it seemed like the best choice for me! I've never had a skimmer in a tank before so I am excited! I used to have a 24 gallon tank that did awesome without it, but this tank seems like it needs it.

Lmao mine has never bit me.
I was feeding my tang by hand some dragons breath last night.
That was cool :)

My True Percula Clown attacks me everytime i try to move something in the tank and it's the first saltwater fish i ever had lol. My Yellow Tang eats from my hand too, I'm getting close to get my Mandarin to eat from my hand but she stays about 6" away but getting closer I've had her for over a year.

Nice tank. So what other type of livestock are you thinking of?
Maybe a goby and then just coral. I think just mushrooms, ricordia, polyps, acans, etc. Probably some other inverts too. I'm not sure if I'm keeping the anemone or not- it doesn't seem to love being in my tank.

I got rid of the anemone :( It was definitely too big for my tank and I couldn't keep up with all the waste, even with the skimmer!
I got a few new frags and moved some stuff around. I'm also in the process of replacing the bulbs, I've been changing 2 a week.
The Xenia has been growing like crazy. It was the wimpiest $5 frag when I got it and its looking so much better!

fN5swyol.jpg

Lookin good. I'm guessing the hammer likes it better up higher. Are you happy with the skimmer? A little acan garden would be nice there in the front to the right of the xenia.
Oops now that I look closer I think what I called a hammer is frogspawn. Its hard to tell on a mini tablet.

Last edited:
Lookin good. I'm guessing the hammer likes it better up higher. Are you happy with the skimmer? A little acan garden would be nice there in the front to the right of the xenia.
Oops now that I look closer I think what I called a hammer is frogspawn. Its hard to tell on a mini tablet.
Thanks!
The skimmer seems to be working well, it definitely pulls out a lot of gross stuff. I don't see a major difference in the tank yet but its only been a few weeks. The frogspawn seems to be happy up higher- I moved it because it looked like it was over-inflating itself so I thought it needed more light. It still does it in the new spot but it also extends to be even bigger than before so I think its happy.

You may not be able to visually see a big difference in your DT but I'm pretty sure that if you were measuring your nitrates and such, that's where you'd find a difference. When I added a skimmer my nitrates went from 20 to 0. You can compensate by doing WCs but the skimmer will lessen your maintenance and hey, gross stuff in the skimmer means its not in the tank, right?

Back