29 to 55 in a day?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbfreek

Just wondering if it's possible to make the transfer from my 29 w/10g sump to my 55g w/o a sump in the same day? I'd be using the water from the 29 and sump and have to mix about 15g of new water. After a week or so I'd add the 10g sump to the 55. Anyone know if this would work without harming anything in the tank? I just don't want to go through the whole cycle thing if I can help it. Thanks!

Yeah you can do that, I transfered my 120 to a 120 cube in a day, just make sure the water params are all the same and use as much of the old water as possible..

Matt

I just transfered my 125g to...well..the same tank. But I switched stands so I needed to drain the old tank/sump and redo it all again. Everything seems to be doing well except for 2 fish who didn't make it due to stress I'm thinking, but most of the corals are doing quite well now that the flow/lights and everything are back together.

I would just offer that IF you have a sandbed......do not reuse it in your new tank.......start with new dry sand. And it is fine to salvage as much water as you like when emtying out the old tank up until the point that you DO start disturbing the sand. All water after that should be tossed.

Other than that should be no prob.

To be sure..im not saying that it would be a sure disaster if you did try to reuse the sand...........but it is simply a unecessary risk. I also believe any time you have an easy opportunity to start with fresh new sand, you should take advantage of it

I agree fresh new sand . But I would if your adding sand to the 55 take one cup from the top 3/4" of the old sand bed and place it atop the new sand to reseed it :)

Your plan sounds good. if your not putting the tanks in exactly the same spot, you could consider setting up the 55 g a couple days early and add the new sand over there and get the 15 gallons of water to the exact same temp. This would help with clouding of the water a little bit and minimize the shock a little bit too.

Just to be safe I will state it the 1 cup of live sand must stay under water and not be exposed to air !

Back