3 hours, some PVC, and my new aquascape.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

I setup this tank about nine months ago and I have always hated the aquascape. It's essentially a flat wall stacked up against the back. I didn't have much room for frags and the flow around the rocks was poor at best (maybe why I still have some GHA). So I decided to tear down everything yesterday and make some improvements.

Here was my current full-tank shot. Many of the rocks were verticle leaving little room for placement of frags. Not to mention it was boring looking.
FT.jpg

My idea was to create a hollow tower in the center of the tank and have many ledges, over-hangs, and interesting caves. It's tough to tell in the picture, but the PVC pole is 20" tall (tank is 24" tall) and has a 6"x6" square platform (egg crate) about 4" from the sand bed help up with PVC legs. My idea was to have none of the rocks touching the back of the tank to allow for good water flow around and through the rocks.
Tower1.jpg

This next pictures shows more progress on the tower. I pull out most of my rock and picked the best pieces to start stacking with. I used the natural holes in the rocks and hung them with zipties, almost like christmas ornaments, around the PVC pole. I was most concerned getting the pole hidden but still allowing the fish to use this "cave" and have plenty of room inside for waterflow.
Tower2.jpg

Here the aquascape is essentially done. This didn't quite fit the picture I had in my mind, as it is still basically a rock wall, but I still feel it was a large improvement. I have a large cave at the base of the tower (and many others throughout), plenty of ledges to attach SPS to, shaded areas for lower-light corals, and almost nothing is touching the back wall/overflow. The water flow seems to be great through all of the rocks and I can even hide a small powerhead at the top of the tower and have it blow down the tower if I want to keep detritus from accumulating. I also made another small PVC structure to hold up the rocks on the right-hand side of the tank (above the cave) that is supporting the large shelf. I'll post the final pictures of everything stocked when my lights turn on this morning. This whole idea stemmed from seeing Dave's (o2manyfish) tank where he made cool towers and such from PVC. Enjoy!
Tower3.jpg

Man...That's a neat idea! Make sure post a photo when you fill it all the way back up and it settles:)

And here is the finished product.

Front
FT1.jpg

I really like how the ledges and caves look from the side. The tank's side is viewable from the couch, so this was important to me. And I'm glad my anemone is looking better and found a new home. I was worried he was going to go somewhere that my clowns wouldn't find it or bother other corals.
FT2.jpg

And I just took this picture of my Ricordia, I threw this one into the mix incase people were bored of the full-tanks shots :)
Pink_Ric.jpg

The smaller ledges are wedged into the tower and ziptied into place. The large ledge on the right is supported by the rock on the right which is held in place by PVC (you can see the PVC in the side-shot picture). I wanted to be sure that everything was going to be as stable as possible to make sure nothing would take a tumble, and I'm confident that everything is in place. And I was happy to see my clowns found the anemone and started hosting again today :) And thanks for the comments everyone, it was quite a bit of work but I think it paid off.

Back