3 Spot Damsel Trying to Host My RBTA???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

str8juizy

saltygurl
OK, so I have a medium size RBTA that hosts my African Clown female at night (her & the male have been hosting my poor gonipora during the day - with no ill affects thank goodness). I have a 3 spot damsel that has been showing the RBTA some strange attention during the last couple of days. It hovers over it leaning from one side to the other fanning its fins. Then it slides gently along the RBTA and around it's outside lip. It is the strangest thing. It has no problem touching the tenticles and does so quite frequently. Anyone had this happen, know why or can tell me what it means???

Not at all uncommon. Damsels regularly use anemones as hosts, in the wild. After all, a Clown fish is just one of many Damsels.

I've seen it myself. Long time ago I had a nem and clown and when the clown would swim off the Domino was in there like a squatter. No harm to the nem or Domino but the clown was a little indignant when it came home and found an uninvited guest.

Mike

As stated many different damselfish are known to seek refuge in different "Hosts" and not even always an anemone. I've had damselfish seek refuge in FrogSpawn, Xenia, and even my "Devils Finger" leather. It's not unusual for them to cause harm to their host organism if it's not accustomed to the "Rough Love" the damselfish gives to it. I lost an entire colony of Hammer Coral because a maroon clown decided to use it as refuge and it was just too rough on the delicate tissue of the Hammer Coral.

Also one point to keep in mind (not a big deal but stands to be corrected) is the the Anemone (or whatever other organism chosen by the damselfish) is the HOST and not the damselfish. Think of it like when you host "guests" over to your home. You're the host and your guests are being hosted by you.

Thanks everyone! I had no idea that damsels & clowns were related! My African Clown does not mind at all when the damsel hangs out in her RBTA during the day because she only sleeps in it at night. During the day her & her mate are living in & trying to feed my gonopora. I thought it would have ill afects on the gonopora but after all this time it actually seems to like it. Go figure! Anyways I feel better now. I was just picturing the RBTA eating my poor little damsel so now that I know it won't happen I can live happy!

Back